Auto Populate

OKCIrish

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. Mobile
I've been all over the internet looking for formulas to try and make a cell auto populate depending on two cells text. I am trying to have column X populate with RPR when certain texts are selected from column K & T (basically all the text in the attached picture except OK, OK-FR, UND, STS). Column X was supposed to have data validation attached to it with drop down of OK, OK-HB, RPR & DBR but I disabled it because when I found simple formulas to work with it, it wouldn't return the value due to the data validation. Does anyone know of a way to solve this? I could use the simple formula I came up with but it would be a long string of formulas.
Capture1.PNG

List.PNG

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
What should the X column say, and under which circumstances?

Upvote 0
What should the X column say, and under which circumstances?
X52 should say RPR when K52 & T52 equal one of these abbreviations MRF, PIT, WT, CT, GT, WO, BV, BM, DIM, PUT, CS, GS, SD, PS, UNS, SC. I have updated the sheet to where the rows and columns are shown. Example is if K52 has OK but T52 has PIT, then I would like X52 to auto populate with RPR. But if K52 & T52 both have OK then X52 should have OK as well.
Capture1.PNG

Upvote 0
Can you do a few examples? The logic is hard to work out from the description.

Upvote 0
Can you do a few examples? The logic is hard to work out from the description.
Capture1.PNG

So if a certain text in column K at row 52 reads gt, same thing with column T and Row 52 I was column X row 52 to input RPR. But if they both ready OK, I would like column X row 52 read OK.

Upvote 0
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(K52="",T52=""),"",IF(AND(K52="ok",T52="ok"),"ok","rpr"))

The first section makes X blank if either K or T is blank. Otherwise if checks if both are "ok" (yields "ok"), else "rpr".

Upvote 1
Solution
Excel Formula:
=IF(OR(K52="",T52=""),"",IF(AND(K52="ok",T52="ok"),"ok","rpr"))

The first section makes X blank if either K or T is blank. Otherwise if checks if both are "ok" (yields "ok"), else "rpr".
I appreciate the answer. Are you willing to take this a step further? I have other formulas I need to come up with in conjunction with what you gave me.

Upvote 0
Show us what you got, or maybe do a new thread if it's not like the first question (for the benefit of the search engine).

Upvote 0
Show us what you got, or maybe do a new thread if it's not like the first question (for the benefit of the search engine).
It is like the first question, with auto population just more expanded to other cells.

The first formula I need help with is based on if the K & T column have OK in them, it would then look to column M & N to see if they have either F, D or do in either column or a combination of the two and then column X would have OK-HB in it. My examples of this start at Row 56 to Row 61

The second formula I need help with is based on the first question, however if the formula recognizes STS or UND in column K or T then column X would have REJ in it. My example for this starts off in row 62.

I appreciate the help on this!

Capture.PNG

Upvote 0
I can see that this can get complicated quickly. Rather than rolling it all into a single (long!) formula, I think you have two better options.

1. Make a new column for each logical evaluation - for example one that determines OK/RPR, another one that determines OK-HB or not, one that determines REJ or not (and so on), and then maybe a final column that evaluates these for the final class. This will allow you to detect and fix errors in steps rather than have the entire formula fail.

2. Make a separate condition table and draw the class information from this via XLOOKUP. This will allow you to keep easy track of which combinations correspond to a final class.

Book1
ABC
1Box initial conditionPin initial conditionClass
2okstsREJ
3okundREJ
4stsokREJ
5stsundREJ
6undokREJ
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back