Auto-populating a calendar in Excel based on conditions from a data table on another sheet

scotthunter

Board Regular
Hello, I'm new to this forum and hope that someone can help me with what I am trying to achieve! I just can't think logically enough to work this one out for myself!

I'm trying to auto populate a calender style sheet in Excel 2010 based on data from a Work Schedule sheet. The work schedule sheet contains a list of jobs, with each row representing a different job. There is a column for the start date (e.g. 25/04/14) and a column for the end date (e.g. 26/04/14). There are other columns which select resources such as people and vehicles. Each resource may appear on any one of several columns for each row, e.g. Site Operative 1, Site Operative 2 etc.

On the calendar sheet, in which one cell represents one day (e.g. 25/04/14), all the dates are shown along the top going right and all the resources are shown on the left going down.

On the calender sheet, in every cell I want a formula that will look at the Work Schedule sheet and see if that particular resource is being used on that particular date. If it does, the cell can display information from another cell such as the job number or job name to which the resource is assigned; if it doesn't, the resource isn't being used so it can display "Free" or "Available".

Hopefully this will make it clearer. So the Work Schedule:

JobProject ManagerClientSiteJob DescriptionPWLEZTip SiteStartEndDaysW-EndDurationStatusTankerEquipmentVehicle 1Vehicle 2Vehicle 3HGV/OtherSite ManagerPlant Operator 1Plant Operator 2Site Operative 1Site Operative 2Site Operative 3Enviro ConsultantEnviro Assistant
0376-14Mark SlumanRyder PlcVariousAnnual Tank Inspection Programme Valgrove – West Midlands21/04/1423/04/14Mon-WedNo3Complete
0479-14Scott HunterDB SchenkerTotonEnvironmental Assessment Valgrove – West Midlands21/04/1428/04/14Mon-MonNo6Active Hire VanAD57 JZD Scott Hunter Scott HutnerKris Maxwell

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="3"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col span="2"><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="3"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Calendar:

JOB DETAILS21/04/1422/04/1423/04/14
JOBPMClientSiteStartEndDaysMondayTuesdayWednesday
0376-14Mark SlumanRyder PlcVarious21/04/1423/04/14Mon-WedVariousVariousVarious
0479-14Scott HunterDB SchenkerToton21/04/1428/04/14Mon-MonTotonTotonToton
0186-14Nigel FriendSafety-KleenSandquay22/04/1422/04/14Tue-Tue Sandquay
0521-14Nigel FriendAddicott ElectricsDorchester22/04/1422/04/14Tue-Tue Dorchester
0658-14Darren SmithInterflex ScotlandNot specified22/04/1422/04/14Tue-Tue Not specified

<colgroup><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col><col span="3"></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

What do {} around a formula in the formula bar mean?
{Formula} means the formula was entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter signifying an old-style array formula.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LokiSonic

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back