Auto Response to Excel prompt?

uson

Hi all,

This forum has been such a great help in some unique problems I've had. Thanks to all the Masters!!

So heres one. We are moving off of Fileshare to SharePoint (Yea!!!). One XLS that we use within a workteam of 30+ people has an autotimer feature (which I got from Mr.Excel) that performs a file/save after 5 minutes. That keeps people from opening, leaving for a hour long meeting and locking the worksheet. We need to keep that feature.

When we moved it to test on SP, all works fine except when the file/save code kicks in at 5 minutes, we now get a SP prompt to asking to 1) Checkin the file and 2) Add any comments to the new version. How can I intercept this prompt from SP through Excel and auto complete Yes (I want to check in the file) for prompt 1 and OK (no comments) for prompt 2?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Excel Facts

Pivot Table Drill Down
Double-click any number in a pivot table to create a new report showing all detail rows that make up that number
Thanks bensonsearch. I tried this to no avail. After 5 + minutes the XLS sheet was just sitting idle. I am guessing that turning off the alerts only prevent the message from being displayed but that the app is still expecting a response. I basically need to figure out how when that alert arises to return (blindly) "Yes" the "OK" to the two prompts.

The search continues.....

Upvote 0
Hi,
I know there is a way to do this (trying hard to find where I saw it).

quick question though, how are you saving the file? i use the below

Code:
thisworkbook.save

this doesnt come up with any prompts.

Upvote 0
bensonresearch -

Thanks for trying so hard. I am using thisworkbook.save. My earlier message might have been unclear. I don't get this prompt when I just working in Excel. It's when the Excel sheet is opened from the Sharepoint workspace. So it seems as though SP is talking to Excel and forcing this prompt.

What I've been trying to explore is if there is a function, etc. within SP that would allow this prompting to be autocompleted. Maybe the message is not from Excel afterall, it may be from SP. I just don't know how to tell which app (XLS or SP) is posting the message, but whatever the case, it stops the normal close process when the 5 minute limit is reached.

Make sense?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Yes this does, I would say it is SP but I dont know anything about it. You could try using sendkeys method but that in my experiance works and doesnt work.

What you can do is

Code:
sendkeys ({ENTER})

put that where it askes for the prompt and see if it helps.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back