Auto Save - Excel 2003 - Not Working

mstuf

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
Good Morning --

I have recently Upgraded to Office 2003 -- Must say that are things I don't like. Still to new to be sure If I just havent figured out how to work it -- or if it just doesnt do it -- LOL

One thing that is Not as it should be is my Auto recover Feature

I have gone to the Tools - Options - Save Tab and the box is checked -- it is set for every 10 Minutes -- it Gives a path but .....

I follow the path and find the XAR files and it sometimes is many hours behind the current time and never 10 to 20 minutes old. I Changed the Time interval to 5 Minutes and changed it back hoping to reload it. still no difference. I have read the help Screens none deal with this issue -- any Ideas ??

I realize the Auto Recover is not Auto Save --
Is Auto Save gone for 2003 ?

There is no option box for it on that save tab page ?

Thanks as Always

Mike

Excel Facts

Which came first: VisiCalc or Lotus 1-2-3?
Dan Bricklin and Bob Frankston debuted VisiCalc in 1979 as a Visible Calculator. Lotus 1-2-3 debuted in the early 1980's, from Mitch Kapor.
Mike

Isn't AutoSave an Add-In?

It is for me using Excel 2000.

Upvote 0
Wow -- I certainally did not find some of the conditions of Auto Recovery Files in the help section -- Thank you !
I'll paste an Important Group below. None of us here knew the terms of when files were deleted etc -- Very interesting.
I'm reading deeper but still have not spotted the condition / rule that is causing mine not to update at the 10 minute intervals as set inthe Tools / options / save Box. It seems that often my conditions for Save do exist.

The terms to me dont seem like a very reliable save -- so even though this is the newer slicker 2003 we must again train ourselve to do manual saves at frequent intervals thus disabling the autorecover ?? Keep chanting - Newer is better - Newer is Better - Newer is better -- LOL -- I Loved my old Autosave in 2000 -- Lets get rid of the good features and lets add a bunch of stuff we dont need -- LOL

The Overview states
Microsoft Excel now has a built-in AutoRecover feature that has replaced the AutoSave add-in that exists in versions of Excel earlier than Microsoft Excel 2002.

Anyone whos been thinking the Autorecover has got thier back should read these terms --
When an AutoRecover Event Is Triggered

When an Excel file is open and AutoRecover is turned on, AutoRecover does not save the file until the first change is made to the file, the AutoRecover save time interval passes, and Excel has been idle for some time (the default is 30 seconds). After AutoRecover saves the file, the file is only saved at subsequent save intervals if further changes are made.

When AutoRecover Files Are Deleted

To keep from filling up your AutoRecover location with unneeded files, AutoRecover files are automatically deleted in the following situations: • When the file is manually saved.
• The file is saved with a new file name using Save As.
• You close the file.
• You quit Excel, whether you choose to save the file or not.
• You turn off AutoRecover for the current workbook.
• You turn off AutoRecover by clearing the Save AutoRecover info every check box.

Thank you for both replies

Mike

Upvote 0
Yes norie you are quite right AUTOSAVE is an Add-in but it has been removed from Office 2003,

but here the thing, it will still work in 2003, i use it at work,you just need to get the Add-in, so if you know someone with office 2000 or maybe office XP just copy the add-in and install it by clicking Tools >> Add-ins then browse to where you saved it

Upvote 0
i have just dug out my old Office 2000 disk and have a copy of the AUTOSAVE add-in if you or anybody else for that matter wants it

just post back here of mail me @

craig__@__shippey__.org.__uk

loose all the underscores for correct email address

Upvote 0
Thanks -- Great Tip

-- and Nice Offer, Norie

This board is Such a Help -- Thank You

Mike

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back