Auto-scale y-axis always defaults to zero

hedgeman50

Board Regular
I'm graphing multiple stock charts. The auto-scale for the high works perfectly (if a stock reached, say, $50 over the past year, then the chart goes up to about $55). However, the minimum on the y-axis is always zero. I can't set a static number for the minimum, as it changes for each chart.

Question: Is there a way to have the minimum number adjust appropriately just as the maximum number does?

Thanks.

Max

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
not sure if I have re-created your problem accurately, but...right click on the Y -axis, . format axis > Scale > tick the Auto min, max andcategory cross at check boxes. try tampering with theses and not inputting a numerical value, see if that helps at all.

Upvote 0
Thanks, but it always just defaults to zero on the minimum. The maximum works perfectly. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Max

Upvote 0
I am having the same problem. The y-axis always defaults to Zero. eg If I am looking at a range from 100 to 105, the y axis goes to Zero. Very annoying. Can someone help us?

Upvote 0
There's a document in the MSDN/Microsoft support library about how Excel calculates the min./max. values for a chart. It will help you understand when the min. will become non-zero. However, to change the value when Excel doesn't want to, your only choice is to specify the min/max values by hand. Or, automate the process with a product like
AutoChart Manager
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/autochart/index.html

Thanks, but it always just defaults to zero on the minimum. The maximum works perfectly. Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Max

Upvote 0
I had a similar issue recently and some suggested (See: Auto-scaling Y axis when using numbers below 5 ) simply scaling the numbers to move them into a range that forces Excel to autoscale the way you want - my range is similar to you - 10 to 50, and I simply added 5000 to alll the numbers, and so numbers from say 35 to 45 now become 5035 to 5045 and this is what excel charts.
There may be a problem if you need to scales to show the true values (not an issue in my case) - but if so, there may be a way to have a secong 'dummy' scale which shows the true values.
S

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DW Draft

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back