Auto-update for mail merge with file(s) closed

Steph77

Board Regular
Hey all

Did a search for this but couldn't find anything really on topic - apologies if it's been covered already somewhere.

I have piece of software that exports a csv file which I've then been using in a mail merge. Problem is something about that software changed on the last update so now it's not taking the csv file (it just gets stuck in a loop asking for the input file then giving me an error message)

I've got around that by opening the csv file each time I need to do the merge and resaving it as an xls file. The merge file then seems to accept it fine (weird right?)

What I'd like is to cut out the bit where I'm opening and resaving the csv file as I'm having to do this many times a day right now and it's really annoying and time consuming

I built an Excel file with cell links to the csv file, but this only updates when its open. Is there any way to set it so I don't have to open either the csv or the xls during the process? The only thing I can find is that I can keep the xls file open in the background and it will update when the csv changes, but there's 4 of us that have to do this mail merge and that solution isn't feasible without creating 4 versions of every word document we're merging into (one saved for each person's always open excel file)

Any advice/assistance appreciated.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back