Auto update from master workbook to 2nd workbook

Poolshark25

Hi

I have a master workbook which is password protected.

I have managed to make a 2nd workbook that fetches the information from the master but this will only work if the master is open at the same time as i select refresh all.

I actually want my 2nd workbook to auto update when the master is added to.

My purpose for this is that the master is populated from an online form registration which i have no control over and i want to add an extra column to record status of each form registered. I cannot do this in the master because if i create one it is then overwritten when someone submits a new form.

Because of this i want to fetch the updated data from the master to my copy which has the extra column needed but i need the 2nd workbook to auto-update as and when new forms at submitted to the master workbook so both are up-to-date. I can then have my team add information to the status column in the 2nd workbook so we all know where each form is at and therefore not be overwritten as updates are added.

I have setup my 2nd workbook from a blank one by selecting cell A1 and inserting data from 'File' and locating the master file to fetch the data from. As i say this will only work if i have both files open at the same time and i manually click on 'Refresh All'. I need this to be automatic, either in the background as the master changes or in the background every hour or so. I wondered if this is just not me not setting it up correctly or if it is because the master is password protected? My 2nd workbook is on my onedrive.

Please help

Ernie

Excel Facts

Spell Check in Excel
Press F7 to start spell check in Excel. Be careful, by default, Excel does not check Capitalized Werds (whoops)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DannyC96

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back