Auto updating dependent cell validation source

chancestrickland

So I may not be explaining my issue in the clearest way possible, and this may have been asked and answered before, but here goes. I'll try to use images to communicate better.

Basically, I'm trying to create a time card for my company in Excel. Employees will need to first select a category in the first column. Then, using dependent validation, they'll need to select an option in the "owner" column based on their category selection. I am using a list with the source: =INDIRECT($A$2)

vgy9sgf.png

I then create the equivalent validation entries for the cells A3 and B3. When they select a different category, the list will pull from different values.

at3eMfO.png

Naturally, I select A2:B3 and drag down to replicate the cells, expecting the validation source to update to the appropriate cells.

kqr3fYs.png

The problem is that the validation source does NOT update with the appropriate cells data. Each cell's data is fixed on =INDIRECT($A$2) or =INDIRECT($B$2).

B1xMp2P.png

This obviously creates a problem, as I'd like my employees to be able to add/subtract lines from their time cards as needed.

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong and if there is a better way to address this issue?

Excel Facts

How to show all formulas in Excel?
Press Ctrl+` to show all formulas. Press it again to toggle back to numbers. The grave accent is often under the tilde on US keyboards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiz11713

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back