Autocomplete drop down list/autofill drop down list - Solution Found

bobby_smith

Board Regular
This is not a question but rather some information that I wanted to share.

I was searching for several months to find option that allows you to autocomplete a data validation drop down list. Similar to when you type something in google and it autocomplete or provide suggestions.
YU3Sf

2rroy2v.jpg

Here is an image of what I'm referring to http://imgur.com/a/YU3Sf
The solutions I came across all referenced the ActiveX option, however this could only be performed on one cell. I needed this feature to work for multiple rows.
I recently came across a FREE addin created by Excel campus that does exactly what I needed.
I simply used the excel data validation list option and then incorporated the addin.
I was really relieved to find this and wanted to share as I've seen numerous people online asking the same question.

The website is https://www.excelcampus.com, and the name of the addin is "List search addin"
https://www.excelcampus.com/vba/search-data-validation-drop-down-lists/

I am in no way affiliated with this website. I just wanted to share this as I'm sure there are many others looking for this.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Whats the difference between CONCAT and CONCATENATE?
The newer CONCAT function can reference a range of cells. =CONCATENATE(A1,A2,A3,A4,A5) becomes =CONCAT(A1:A5)

Hi Boisgontier,

Thanks for sharing your links. This is exactly what I was looking for. I tried to replicate your code in another spread sheet but I was having some problems.
Can you please tell me to set up the set up the drop down box on my new tab? I tried creating the combo box but it was not working. I'm not able to figure out what step I was missing.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Thanks Boisgontier I was able to figure it out. Your resources are really awesome.
Thanks Michael M, the link you provided was really useful as it provided some foundation to get to what I wanted.

Upvote 0
Hey, great Resource! this is just what i was looking for. the only thing that i am having issues is to automatically replace the values of selected items from the list. After i select one of the item on the list i want to automatically replace the value to a linked value from a tablet in sheet 2.

this is a sample code that i kind of want to include in your "DVSaisieintutitivecombobox.xls" VBA code.

Code:
[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Consolas]Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)[/FONT][/COLOR]<code style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; font-style: inherit; font-variant: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-stretch: inherit; line-height: inherit; font-family: Consolas, Menlo, Monaco, "Lucida Console", "Liberation Mono", "DejaVu Sans Mono", "Bitstream Vera Sans Mono", "Courier New", monospace, sans-serif; vertical-align: baseline; white-space: inherit;">Dim short As String
    If Not Intersect(Target, Range("A2:A")) Is Nothing Then
        short = Application.VLookup(Target.Value, ActiveWorkBook.Sheets("sheet2").range("A2:B16"), 2, False)
        Application.EnableEvents = False
        Target = short
        Application.EnableEvents = True
    End If </code>[COLOR=#242729][FONT=Consolas]End Sub
[/FONT][/COLOR]

i have a table in sheet2 but in sheet 1 i want to use your vba but i also want the result values to be replace like in the code above upon selection.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dreamz high

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back