Autocomplete dropdown list

adambc

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I have a table with a Name column that is critical to populating the other columns from lookup tables ...

But the Name has to be a 100% match to its own lookup table ...

So I have implemented a dropdown in the Name column that will not allow manual entries and must match an entry in the Name lookup table ...

But ... there are over 200 Names and I would like to implement autocomplete to avoid users having to scroll ... and scroll ... and scroll ...

I've tried a Combo Box (ActiveX Control) but as far as I can see this only allows me to populate a predetermined cell ie I can't apply it to every row in my table (hope that makes sense?) ...

Is there any other way to implement autocomplete for a dropdown list that I've missed?

Thanks ...

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
I created an add-in called “Search deList”, and I shared it as a freeware, and also the code is not protected so you can check it & amend it as needed.

Its function is to speed up searching in data validation list. In any cell that has data validation (with List type) pressing ALT+RIGHT will open a Userform with a combobox. You can type multiple keywords (separated by a space) in the combobox and the list will be narrowed down as you type.
You can use up-down arrow to select an item, then hit ENTER, the selected item will be inserted into the cell, and the Userform will be closed.

image Search deList.jpg

If you're interested, here's the link (it's an .xlam file):

Upvote 0
In case you or anyone needs it, I share the “Search deList” add-in with more detailed explanation in this thread link

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andreguerra

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back