AutoComplete From a List

kbdavis11

I have a list on a separate sheet that I am wanting one particular cell to autocomplete from. I have searched for quite some time on a resolution to the issue.

I have even placed the list above the cells I am working with, and then hiding them, but after I am finished with my current task I hit CTRL-A to copy all and paste my work into another program. The problem is that by doing CTRL-A it also copies the hidden rows above it (which in my opinion defeats the purpose of being hidden).

I have used data validation as well but going through that list can be time consuming and I am trying to make this as efficient as possible. There is a 2 letter code that is unique, followed by a "-" and approx. 20 letter "phrase" afterwords. I just want to find a workaround that will allow me to type in the two letter code that will autocomplete the rest of the phrase, with me being able to CTRL-A and not selecting any of the autocomplete list.

I am willing to try VBA if I can get the correct direction for that, but VBA is not something I am 100% familiar with (although I have used in the past with success).

Any thoughts or suggestions?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

EDIT #1: I have also attempted to unlock the cells I just want to CTRL-A and then protecting the sheet with the "select locked cells" unchecked, but then CTRL-A doesn't do anything at all :oops:

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Have you thought about using Autocorrect?
Go to File > Options > Proofing then click AutoCorrect Options button
In this screen you can insert the two letter string you would type in the "Replace" box and put the full text you'd like Excel to insert in the "With" box.
This way whenever you type that two letter string and press enter excel will input the full string.
Obviously this is potentially flawed if the two letter string is something you might use elsewhere, I'm not sure what they look like?

Upvote 0
Have you thought about using Autocorrect?
Go to File > Options > Proofing then click AutoCorrect Options button
In this screen you can insert the two letter string you would type in the "Replace" box and put the full text you'd like Excel to insert in the "With" box.
This way whenever you type that two letter string and press enter excel will input the full string.
Obviously this is potentially flawed if the two letter string is something you might use elsewhere, I'm not sure what they look like?

I have considered that but I would just hate for that to take effect on all the office suite programs. If it would be possible to only implement it for my specific spreadsheet I use then I would be all for it.

Thanks for the suggestion though.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back