Autocorrect text while typing in a cell?

Ironman

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi

I'm not sure how Autocorrecting text is supposed to work in Excel, but it isn't working for me when I'm typing text within a cell, despite all the boxes in the appropriate Autocorrect tab being checked.

I just need typos to be highlighted and/or corrected as I type text within a cell.

Is this possible and if so, how?

Many thanks!

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Excel does not do spellcheck as you type, like Word does. You have to click on Review > Spelling to run spellcheck.

Autocorrect does not show or fix typos. It scans for certain strings that are set up in the Autocorrect list and automatically changes them to the target string. The list is preloaded with common symbols and typos. For example

(c) → ©
teh → the
aboutthe → about the

and so on. But they have to explicitly in this list to be corrected.

Upvote 0
Thanks Jeff. I was wondering if there might be a VBA solution that could highlight typos or something similar.

Upvote 0
The issue with VBA is that VBA won't run when a cell is open for editing. VBA can't work on a cell as you type, only after you hit "Enter".

You can use VBA to check spelling each time a cell is completed:

VBA Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Target.CheckSpelling

End Sub

Upvote 0
Thanks again Jeff, yes, that's the nub of the issue - and being a sheet change event, it'll interfere with other stuff happening within the same event as well as re-check everything in the sheet.

Upvote 0
@Ironman If it is a list of names for instance..you can put the list of names above the header row then hide them, then when you start typing a name further down in the same column, it will autofill...otherwise I think you will need to correct your typos manually !!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back