autofill 1 row (kinda)

bibbyd01

Board Regular
A really easy one to start the day!

I have a VBA code that creates a row, but I want to autofill from the above row, but only a certain amount of columns (currently 3 to 60). I was just going to use a simple autofill function one cell at a time, then move it as it will still be very quick, but there's got to be an easier way fo doing it, and, more importantly, I can't figure out how to autofil to a cell below the current activecell.

When I record a macro it gives a range that I'm autofilling to, ie Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Range("B7:B8"), Type:=xlFillDefault
I tried to replce the range with offset, but this doesn't work.

I'm using excell 2003.

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
Never really used Autofill, but maybe:

Code:
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Selection.Offset(1,0), Type:=xlFillDefault
#

Or is that what you've already tried? :-S

Upvote 0
Maybe

Code:
Selection.AutoFill Destination:=Selection.Resize(2, Selection.Columns.Count), Type:=xlFillDefault

Upvote 0
Cool, that works excellently.

Now, why does it work? I gather the resize function allows you to expand the selection, so if I want to have a selectiont hat's 3 rows tall and 10 wide I would use resize(3, 10)? This uses selection.columns.count but I don't understand why?

Also, do you know how I could copy down multiple cells

Upvote 0
if I want to have a selectiont hat's 3 rows tall and 10 wide I would use resize(3, 10)? This uses selection.columns.count but I don't understand why?

Because you are using teh Selection object, there is no fixed size for the range you are Autofilling. If you select a range 5 columns wide, but you have specified to fill to a range 10 columns wide, the Autofill will fail. Therefore, don't specify the number of columns - get it from the Selection object.

Also, do you know how I could copy down multiple cells

Erm, vague question = vague answer.

Yes.

;)

Upvote 0
I've come up with some vba code, so I think all is good in the world once more!

What I want to do is use a range that's 1 row tall, but 6 columns wide, and autofill it into the row below. Do I have to select a range first, then use the same range in the autofill line?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelhelp12345

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back