autofill from vlookup

HappyChappy

Office Version
  1. 2019
  2. 2010
  3. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
i have to sheets sheet one coloum D is where the name goes. it uses vlookup to to populate coloum G with the two letter found on sheet2 coloum L
it works fine apart from spelling mistakes. is it possible to start typing the name in D and it to start prompting the name as you start to type so you can choose from a name shown.
it is always a letter then fullstop followed by the surname no spaces
the formula for the vloopup is as follows:- =IFERROR(IF(D3="","",VLOOKUP(D3,Lookups!$K$1:$L$80,2,FALSE)),"") but i don't think this matters as it's just the name in colum D that I want to auto lookup.
As you can see some of the names are quite challenging to remember the spellings.
I don't want to lock the cell as sometimes new names are needed to be added and later the sheet 2 would be updated to reflect the changes

Attachments

• sheet1.png
    sheet1.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 7
  • sheet2.png
    sheet2.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 8
from my sheet1 in diagram d3:d30 will all have different names from the list as they are all drivers and can only drive one vehicle at a time. So I need to have the dropdown list in each of d3:d30 so I can choose each driver fr each row

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
the new vba code isnt working i copy it over and paste in into sheet and the 4th line case else active window.zoom is RED

Upvote 0
the new vba code isnt working i copy it over and paste in into sheet and the 4th line case else active window.zoom is RED

oops! :oops:
delete as indicated
Rich (BB code):
Case Else ActiveWindow.Zoom

Upvote 0
yes each cell represents a driver of a vehicle so one person per cell

Upvote 0
from my sheet1 in diagram d3:d30 will all have different names from the list as they are all drivers and can only drive one vehicle at a time. So I need to have the dropdown list in each of d3:d30 so I can choose each driver fr each row
The obvious way would be to eiminate duplicates from the dropdown by tailoring the dropdown workings sheet.
- is your list of available drivers in column A of that sheet ?

Upvote 0
the new code makes the dropdown window extra wide but not zoomed in like the first vba code

Upvote 0
The video you sent worked great for one cell looking up a list. but as you can see from my sheet1 i have 12 different cells that have different data in each so the validation needs to be in each cell not just the one. Is there a way to modify the routine you sent me as it does what I want but not in each cell as i want it to.

Attachments

• sheet1.png
    sheet1.png
    64.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Sheet2.png
    Sheet2.png
    135.9 KB · Views: 2
Upvote 0
Like I said in post#5 eiminate duplicates from the dropdown by tailoring the dropdown workings sheet.
2 columns need to be inserted in your dropdown workings sheet so that the list of available names is reduced every time a name is inserted in column D

Below I have used a similar technique to one used in the video that you followed
- Sheet1 is where drivers are allocated in column D
- Sheet2 helper columnB provides the match that can be used in column C
- formula in cell B2 (copied down)
=SUM(B1,(COUNTIF(Sheet1!D:D,A2)=0)*1)

As you can see only 8 names are available ....

Book1
ABC
1NamesHelperFiltered List
2Name010Name02
3Name021Name03
4Name032Name04
5Name043Name05
6Name054Name06
7Name065Name07
8Name076Name08
9Name087Name09
10Name098 
11Name108 
Sheet2
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
B2:B11B2=SUM(B1,(COUNTIF(Sheet1!D:D,A2)=0)*1)
C2:C11C2=IFERROR(INDEX(A:A,MATCH(ROWS($B$2:B2),B:B,0)),"")

.... because 2 names have already been allocated in Sheet1 column D

Book1
CDE
2Drivers Name
3Name01
4Name10
Sheet1

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cancansova

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back