Autofilter in Excel

richardjshaffer

Board Regular
Hi,

please can someone help - we want autofiltered data which shows the top 50, to then sort this top 50 by the amount we are filtering the top 50 on?

Currently we do the top 50 and it is just in the same order as the original data - ie. alphabetically, but we need to see the top 50 values in order of value.

many thanks,

Richard

Excel Facts

Formula for Yesterday
Name Manager, New Name. Yesterday =TODAY()-1. OK. Then, use =YESTERDAY in any cell. Tomorrow could be =TODAY()+1.
thanks Andrew, that will work, though was hoping there might be something within the autofilter which might do the trick.

Upvote 0
Hi Richard.

I separately posted in another thread you started. It seems like you are doing database like tasks and it might suit you to use database type approaches. Simplest implementation is a manual (non-VBA) query table.

For a top 50 it automatically returns the sorted data. Exact syntax depends on your field names. The query table's SQL might be something like below. General info on query tables is available by searching (google) or Excel help under 'external data queries' or similar. Help on SQL is widely available. Suggest you ask if you have specific questions.

HTH, Fazza

Code:
SELECT TOP 50 some_name, value
FROM source
ORDER BY value DESC

Upvote 0
thanks for the advice.

you're right, a database solution might work for us, though I can't say I know anything about them yet! I'll look into it.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peterhess2002

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back