Autofilter with Variables

MAM8433

I want to filter the column that contains BCO data to “yes” and the BCO_Excl column to “out.” This code was working and now doesn’t, no doubt due to numerous edits.

Because the exact location of the BCO data is not static, variable intBCOCol contains the column number (21 in my case). Likewise, intBCOExcCol contains the BCO_Excl column number (its value is 25).

In my file, the column headers are in row 8. IntLastRowN is the number of the last data row (which is 2477); intLastCol contains the last used column (column 26). My code is:

With Worksheets("Provider").Range(Cells(8, 1), Cells(intLastRowN, intLastCol))

.AutoFilter Field:=intBCOCol, Criteria1:="Y"

.AutoFilter Field:=intBCOExcCol, Criteria1:="OUT"

End With

The code chokes on the second line. The message is: Run-time error ‘1004’: Autofilter method of range class failed.” However when I hover over intBCOCol, it shows that the value is 21, as expected.

Does this mean that the first line of code is incorrect? I read that variables can be used in cell addresses but not in ranges. I hope you can help me as the more I research these issues, the more confused I get.

Not quite there yet.
Prior to running #20 code, the distribution of values in intBCOcol was:
N 218
Y 2204
#N/A 47

And the distribution of intBCOExcCol was:
Keep for BCO 151
OUT 87
#N/A 2231

I expected 5 records that were intBCOCiol = Y & and intBCOExcCol = OUT to switch to N.

While those 5 did switch to N, other rows flipped as well; intBCOCol now shows:
N 87
Y 151
#N/A 2231
When I look at the data, If intBCOExcCol = Keep for BCO, then intBCOCol= Y; if intBCOExcCol = OUT then intBCOCol= N, etc.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
The code from post#20 does not change any cells other than those in the intBCOCol.

Upvote 0
Fluff, given that some code is not working as expected, could my file be corrupted? I'm wondering if I should paste the code into a new file.

Upvote 0
Are you sure the values aren't changing because of your formulae?

Upvote 0
It's not, I stepped through the #20 code with F8 and watched the .value = evaluate line change the values in intBCOCol column.

Upvote 0
Where intBCOCol = Y and intBCOExcCol = OUT, I want to change IntBCOCol to N and change the adjacent cell to the right to "No Match." Currently, the code updates many of the Ys to #N/A because intBCOExcCol happens to equal #N/A.

Upvote 0
What if you try
VBA Code:
   With Worksheets("Provider")
      With .Range(.Cells(8, intBCOCol), .Cells(intLastRowN, intBCOCol))
         .Value = .Parent.Evaluate(Replace("if((@=""Y"")*(" & .Offset(, intBCOExcCol - .Column).Address & "=""OUT""),""N"",@)", "@", .Address))
      End With
   End With

Upvote 0
No change. Y's in intBCOCol are overwritten with #NA if intBCOExcCol = #N/A. I notice that N's are also overwritten with #N/A unless the record meets the filter criteria. Then it's correctly changed to N.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back