Automated goal-seek issues

Elliottgpjones

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi all - i am running a simple automated goal-seek in order to find what the price of a product has to be in order to return a 10% IRR for a project. it works fine, however if i change some of my inputs by too large-an increment, it seems to fail as the IRR function shows "#NUM". For example, changing my cost input from 50 to 25 works fine, but then changing it back up to 50 results in an error message. Could someone kindly help with this?

Furthermore, i am trying to post my results in a data table. for example with a range of one cost on the row of the data table and the range of another cost on the column of the data table. however, for some reason the data table will not return any difference in numbers.

thanks in advance for the help in both questions!

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
If you showed what your model looks like, it would be much easier to figure it out.

Upvote 0
is the sum of the cashflows perhaps negative or the irr close to 0%.
Sometimes using another estimated % can help.

Upvote 0
is the sum of the cashflows perhaps negative or the irr close to 0%.
Sometimes using another estimated % can help.
Thank you for this! This was very helpful - i instead linked the goalseek to NPV rather than IRR % and that worked. However, i am still having an issue regarding making the sensitivity table. Unfortunately when i create the data table, it just comes up with one answer. Would you happen to know of a solution to this?

Upvote 0
Is VBA allowed ?
How does your data look like for the moment ?
Sensitivity, what are you changing ?

Upvote 0
Is VBA allowed ?
How does your data look like for the moment ?
Sensitivity, what are you changing ?
Thanks a lot for the help! Unfortunately i cannot share the data, however i basically have a simply goalseek running, in order to get the revenue needed for a product to get the npv = 0. what i would like to do is then show the different answers of that revenue if i change two different raw material costs. However, when i try to do this in a data table, it just comes up with the same answer. I am sure it is because of the goal seek nature of this that the data table sensitivity isnt working, but im not sure at all how do fix it. Hope this all makes sense

Upvote 0
Unfortunately i cannot share the data, ...
you can create a lookalike ?
lookalike

VBA Code:
Sub sens()

Set lo = ActiveSheet.ListObjects(1)
     If lo.ListRows.Count Then lo.DataBodyRange.Delete

For i = -300000 To -10000 Step 10000
          Range("B2").Value = i
          lo.ListRows.Add.Range.Range("A1").Resize(, 2).Value = Array(i, Range("C1").Value)
     Next

For i = -10000 To 0 Step 1000
          Range("B2").Value = i
          lo.ListRows.Add.Range.Range("A1").Resize(, 2).Value = Array(i, Range("C1").Value)
     Next   
End Sub

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back