Automatic category selection as seen in Yahoo Answers

robnet77

Hi,

I have a list of keywords with related category of incidents they belong to.

I would like to create an automatic category selection in Excel based on the keywords entered by a user.

For instance, if a user enters "SAP password reset" I want to match those three words (SAP+password+reset, separately) with a database like this:

SAP CAT 1
reset CAT 1
password CAT 1
Windows CAT 2
password CAT 2
reset CAT 2
inquiry CAT 3
install CAT 4

... so that I get the relevance of those keywords for each category, ie:

CAT 1 100%
CAT 2 66%
CAT 3 0%
CAT 4 0%

If possible at all, I would like to do this with only functions and pivot tables, but I'm willing to use macros if it's necessary.

I have tried using VLOOKUP but it only gives me the first occurrence of a keyword, whereas a keyword (eg. SAP) can be present in multiple categories.

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
=SUM(--ISNUMBER(MATCH($A$14:$A$23&C14,$A$1:$A$8&$B$1:$B$8,0)))/COUNTIF($B$1:$B$8,C14)

Array-entered.

Upvote 0
I looked at your solution, it works well but the example I provided is a simplified version of the final database I'm creating (still in progress).

- my database will have about 200 categories and I don't want to show all of them, as it would take ages for the users to see which categories fit best, basically I'd like to only display categories that have a value bigger than 0%, if possible in descending order...

eg.

CAT 24 = 92%
CAT 1 = 56%
CAT 82 = 12%
- also, I've realized that the efficiency of the engine can be improved by giving each keyword a "weight" (relevancy) according to how frequently it appears within a category.

Word Category relevancy

SAP CAT 1 68.1 (out of 100 incidents logged, the word "SAP" appears 68.1 times in CAT 1)
reset CAT 1 60.2
password CAT 1 45.8
Windows CAT 2 75.5
password CAT 2 51.3
reset CAT 2 36.2
inquiry CAT 3 48.9
on CAT 3 21.1
install CAT 4 74.0
software CAT 4 31.1

Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I may have finished the project, see picture in the ozgrid forum, however if anyone has a clean way to do this, please let me know, my Excel is rather rough...

I used VLOOKUP to find unique values (concatenated: keyword & category) and display relevancy factor, then used RANK to sort values, then used ISERROR and ISNUMBER to only show values bigger than zeros for categories and relevancy-points scored.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back