Automatic data in a table

sabrecoach

Hi everyone,

I have a small problem related to Access. I'm building a DB for the employees of my company.

The problem that I'm encountering is that i'm writing down an employee number and I want the table to automatically write down the first and last nam of that employee. The employees informations are in another table.

How can I do that

Thanks

Patrice
MTL, Canada

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Patrice

Where are you doing this? In a form or table?

What do you actually mean by 'writing down'?

You should probably be able to use a combobox/lookup based on the employee table.

It would display the employee name but the underlying field would actually be the employee number.

Upvote 0
I saw this topic on the front page, and just had to hijack it!

I am utilizing an access db where we use an employee identifying number, and it looks up the employee's name and supervisor. However, the form doesn't actually capture that data, so when I export the results, those fields are blank. I would like to be able to use a query, or have the form itself include that data. Currently, I have been exporting to Excel, and doing a quick vlookup to associate the two, but as I am delegating part of the project, I want to make it as easy as possible for them.

What would be the best way to do this?

Upvote 0
Well, aparently this board inspires me. I just figured out how to build a relationship, and that took care of it. Perhaps a board regular can articulate that better, as I kinda just stumbled on it. Off to update my Queries!

Upvote 0
Hi Norie,

Actually, it's in a table but I'd like to use a form. I've tried to use a form with data from three tables. The results were that I could see all existing records, but could not add any new one.

By entering, I mean typing down data in one field. In response to that typing I'd like to have the first and last name of that employee

3355 John Smith

Thanks

Patrice

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mirek8991

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back