automatic data sort

rireland

Board Regular
Is there a way I can do a automatic sort, every minute for example. My final results of a sporting competition are on sheet 9. This sheet is displayed on a separate screen (for the crowds to see). The results are ranked and this changes as new results come in.
At present I need to go to sheet 9, highlight relevant area, and do a sort by column x.
I'd like this to happen automatically, we would enter data in sheets 1-8 and sheet 9 would show the results in ranked order. Updated at regular intervals.

Richard

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Hi

I'm guessing that sheet9 brings in /consolidates the data from sheets 1-8. If you put in a ranking on that data, then in your output area have the rankings listed (1,2,3...). You could then use either vlookup, or index/match to bring in the relevant data from the consolidated section to match the fixed ranking. As the data was updated, the output would automatically update.

HTH

Tony

Upvote 0
Thanks, great idea but.... I'm familiar with vlookup but not index/match. Don't know if it could handle something I forgot to mention, which is equalities. Instead of the ranking being 1,2,3,4,5,6 it could be 1,2,2,4,5,6. So I can't have a fixed ranking to match up to.
Richard

Upvote 0
I've got a live sort formula somewhere but I can't find it at present. From memory it also deals with equal second place. I'll try and post it in the next couple of days.

Upvote 0
Hi

There is a unique rank process around that will overcome (to some extent) the standard rank.

Say your data being ranked is in A1:A8. Put the following formula in B1

=RANK(A1,$A$1:$A$8,1)+COUNTIF($A$1:A1,A1)-1

and copy down to B8. This will give a unique ranking to each item. It does rank each of the "common" items based on their position in the order.

Tony

Upvote 0
That's it - then put this in C1

=OFFSET(A$1,MATCH(SMALL(B$1:B$8,ROW()-ROW(C$1)+1),(B$1:B$8),0)-1,0)

And you should get names in ranking sequence

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back