Automatic Forumula Updation?

jamaljan

Well...couldn't think of a better title. I'll explain here what is that I mean by this.

I'm collecting data from around 40 field staff per month. The data structure is not inform in a way that all of them don't have similar number of columns to add data to.

I've resolved the protecting workbook by unlocking the cells to which they can add data BUT the problem is that if they want to add more columns, its not happening after I protect the worksheet.

I need to do 2 things:

1. the staff can add columns to the structure
2. after they have added the column(s), the formula in the final column (Total) should update automatically, i.e. it should include the columns added by the user.

Please tell me if this can be done in excel or should I use some other tool. Point in case, the majority of the staff are novice when it comes to excel.

Thanks & Regards

Excel Facts

Waterfall charts in Excel?
Office 365 customers have access to Waterfall charts since late 2016. They were added to Excel 2019.
well, figured it out BUT what should I do so that....

for example if there are A to F columns and the column for Total is G, that the user should add a column only before F and not G, so that the formula is automatically updated ;)

Upvote 0
Maybe use a Table http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/overview-of-excel-tables-HA010048546.aspx

I'm pretty sure this will adjust automatically if columns or rows are added. In Excel before 2007 these were called Lists.

thanks for the link but I didn't find anything there which can restrict the user from adding a column before only column F.

(PS. I've also posted the same question on this forum because I'm too excited to find the solution.... :biggrin: http://www.excelforum.com/excel-programming/738683-automatic-formula-updating.html#post2350483 )

Upvote 0
if the columns added are between the Total Column and the ones already existing - consider using OFFSET and COUNT to create a dynamic range for SUM
Sorry but can't be more specific with so little information.
about the restriction - try to hide all columns after F (if they are not needed)

Upvote 0
if the columns added are between the Total Column and the ones already existing - consider using OFFSET and COUNT to create a dynamic range for SUM
Sorry but can't be more specific with so little information.
about the restriction - try to hide all columns after F (if they are not needed)

sorry, don't understand what do you mean by OFFSET and COUNT. I've written in the excel file asking users to add column before F so the formula updates automatically but still it would be good if they can't add it otherwise.

As for hiding columns, I don't think there will be of any help. Please tell me what other information is needed. I'm attaching a sample file so you get an idea as to what I'm talking about. :)

well...I can't find anything here to attach the file... :eek:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WORKINGWITHNOLEADER

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back