Automatic minimum Y Axis for Line Chart is always 0?

JohnZ1156

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2021
Platform
  1. Windows
I have an Excel Line Chart. The minimum value within my range of data is 250,000, but while the Y axis is set on automatic, it still shows all the way down to zero. For a bar chart, when you're comparing the height of the bars against each other, yes, you need to see the entire length of each bar from zero, but with a line chart, you don't need to see the empty space between zero and the smallest value of your data. What's important in a line chart is to see the difference within the range of the data. I'm an old LOTUS 1-2-3 user, and this was automatic for a line graph.

Any suggestions?

Excel Facts

Highlight Duplicates
Home, Conditional Formatting, Highlight Cells, Duplicate records, OK to add pink formatting to any duplicates in selected range.
I am not sure if I understand your question 100%.

If you want to set minimum value for line chart, you could set type minimum value in Vertical Axis formatting options.

1625704470493.png

You can see the effect of setting minimum value below.

1625704668484.png

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0
Thank you Saba, for your reply, but I don't think you understand my issue.

In your second chart, where you set a "minimum" amount, if you change the data, it will not adjust.
Go to your data and change the 01/09/2021 amount to 5,000 or 10,000. I think you'll see what I mean.

If I set a minimum Y Axis amount, yes the chart will start at whatever I set it for, but....
If then my data drops below that minimum that I set, it cuts off the data on the chart.

My idea is, again because I was able to do this over 20 years ago in Lotus 1-2-3,
is that when you set an "automatic" Y Axis, it will adjust the minimum based on the lowest data value.

On my Line Chart, I have the Y Axis set to Automatic. Even though the smallest value within my data today is 250,000, it still shows all the empty space between 0 and 250,000.
If I set my minimum amount for 200,000, for example, it does not show the empty space from 0 to 200,000, but. then if my data drops below 200,000, the Line in the chart is "off" the chart.

Automatic, in my opinion, for a Line Chart, should take the lowest value and use that as it's "minimum". And adjust if that lowest value changes.

What's the point of "automatic" if it's going to use 0 anyway?

Upvote 0
I now understand it.

As you already know, you could calculate minimum value of your data range in a cell and use it to minimum value of the chart using VBA.

There are some easy VBA codes on the Internet.

Kind regards

Saba

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back