Automatic numbering

hazchem

Hola!
I'm in the middle of designing a spreadsheet for issuing quotes to my customers. I'm having a massive mental blank though when it comes to a formula for assigning a unique number automatically to each quote.
I'm trying to get the format -

ALxxxxxx

where x is a number sequence starting from 000006. I want that number to update itself automatically each time I create a new quote. any ideas or am i living in a dream world?

Excel Facts

How to total the visible cells?
From the first blank cell below a filtered data set, press Alt+=. Instead of SUM, you will get SUBTOTAL(9,)
grumble. for some reason, i get an error when i try to open invoice.xlt something about 'the macro is unable to be signed or disabled, therefore this workbook will not be opened under high security level'
So i'm guessing the network admins had something to do with that, which means my chance of getting it changed are bugger all. A similar thing happened when I tried to download the file in that thread you mentioned. any other ideas? PM me if you need to email me anything.

Upvote 0
hi hazchem
not sure what that's about but you're probably right - gotta love your sys admin!:)
i was going to post the code from invoice.xlt for the auto number thingy but it's password protected. can't think of anything else to do, expect saying pretty please to your system administrator...
anno

Upvote 0
Under the Tools menu, select Macro, then Security, and change the setting from High to Medium.

Richard

Upvote 0
Hi
I think the code in invoice.xlt is protected.
I got round this problem by keeping a log of invoice/estimate numbers on a worksheet. It's not automatic, but it helps prevent duplications.I keep this log in the same workbook as my form and call up thr log's userform to enter relevant data by assigning this code to command button
Sub CommandButton1_Click()

Worksheets("DataBase").ShowDataForm

End Sub
Where the log is named database. A similar button can view data.

Hope this helps

Upvote 0
Ermm.. i have idea that Excel 97 or was it Version 5 were open source!! or was that the loan XLT ??? Worth a try u will need a old copy of office / excel thou:

I have open souce Loan which dont help much, also try E97 templat even in locked might run better

Upvote 0
Ermm.. i have idea that Excel 97 or was it Version 5 were open source!! or was that the loan XLT ??? Worth a try u will need a old copy of office / excel thou:

I have open souce Loan which dont help much, also try E97 templat even in locked might run better

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlosWin

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back