Automatic Sorting - Sort A-Z and by Date in One Click

jgill

Hi there - This may be a simple question. Is there any way, when sorting a column alphabetically, to then sort by date as well when you only press the "Sort A to Z" button? Column A is a list of events (sometimes there are duplicate events), and column B has the dates of the events. I'm looking to sort alphabetically according to column A, and then to automatically sort by date as well (so that the duplicate events appear in alphabetical order, but are listed in the sequence they occurred).

I know there is the option to "Sort by" A to Z and then to add a level and then sort by date. But I was just wondering if there was a way to skip the second step so that when a user clicks to sort A to Z, it also sorts by date at the same time.

Thanks

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Best way to learn Power Query?
Read M is for (Data) Monkey book by Ken Puls and Miguel Escobar. It is the complete guide to Power Query.
JGill welcome to the forum. Suggestion: Record a macro to sort then add a level for the sorting by date. You then can use the macro as a 1 click option.

Upvote 0
Hi Trevor - Thanks for your response. This form is going to be used for many people on different computers. If I record a macro on my computer, will that carry over if someone else uses it on their computer?

JGill welcome to the forum. Suggestion: Record a macro to sort then add a level for the sorting by date. You then can use the macro as a 1 click option.

Upvote 0
As a quick follow-up, I just tried recording the Macro and I noticed that when I did, my Column A was buggy. I have a series of items in a drop-down list in Column A, and when I recorded this macro and stored it, many items in the drop down list disappeared, or were incorrect labeled, or no longer in the proper order from when I first added this list.

Would there be another solution to this problem?

Many thanks.

Hi Trevor - Thanks for your response. This form is going to be used for many people on different computers. If I record a macro on my computer, will that carry over if someone else uses it on their computer?

Upvote 0
If the recoded macro is stored in the workbook and other users use the same workbook they can use the macro. As to you list issue I don't how it works so can't comment.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back