Automatic updates of calculations when filters are applied,updated

kcompton

Board Regular
Hello
How would I create a formula that updates automatically when I update/change the selections in my spreadsheet filters?
I have a large spreadsheet with columns for school names, teacher names, class names, subjects, students and columns for test scores.
I need to count the number of test scores that are not blank and that meet certain criteria (i.e test score = "Yes")
When I filter for the school, teacher, class name and subject, I need for the formula at the bottom of the spreadsheet's column for count of test scores to update so that the count of the test scores meeting the criteria for "Yes" is only being counted for the filtered records, not for the entire column.
The formula I have at the bottom of the Test Score column is =COUNTIF(AM1:AM8181,"*Yes*") - this gives me the count for the entire unfiltered spreadsheet.
When I filter for just one specific school, one specific teacher, one specific class and one specific subject, the COUNTIF total for the filter does not change.
I need it to update automatically. Excl's workbook calculation option is set to automatic.

Thank you in advance for any guidance...

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back