Automatic Value in Col E based on Col C.

JokerFMJ

Board Regular
Is it possible to have Column E automatically enter a value based on a 4 digit number inserted into Column C?

I have about 200 different 4 digit numbers that can be entered into Column C and 8 different corresponding values that need to appear in Col E... Would this be possible / difficult?

Thanks. :)

Excel Facts

How can you automate Excel?
Press Alt+F11 from Windows Excel to open the Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) editor.
you have to provide an example but it seems like it can be done by using VLOOKUP

Upvote 0
For example...

Col C...................Col E
3177......................D
9097.....................DG

D and DG values entered automatically.

Upvote 0
create a brand new sheet (if you already dont have one) that will have the list of possible values you might see in col C and col E, and name that sheet "LookupTable"

for example:
..A.........B
3177.....D
9097.....DG
10000....E
15000....FH

then on the actual sheet that you will work on, type this formula on column E:

=VLOOKUP(C1, LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$2, 2,0)

drag down the formula as many rows as you want

Upvote 0
That works well, thank you. :)

One more question: Is there any way to leave Column E blank unless there is a value entered in Column C?

Right now, with that formula you provided, when I have no value in Column C I have the following value in Column E: "#N/A"

Any way to keep that blank?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
try this

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$2,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$2,2,0))

Upvote 0
That seems to get rid of the #N/A message, but now it's only reading Row 1 and 2 from the LookupTable Sheet...

Any idea why?

Upvote 0
it is because the lookup table is set as between A1 and B2

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$2,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$2,2,0))

you should change the $B$2 part with the cell address of right most bottom cell:

for example:
..A.........B
3177.....D
9097.....DG
10000....E
15000....FH

in that table right most bottom cell would be B4 so you should change the formula to:

=IF(ISERROR(VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$4,2,0)),"",VLOOKUP(C1,LookupTable!$A$1:LookupTable!$B$4,2,0))

Upvote 0
Bah... If only I understood all that excel code I would've saved you some trouble!

Thanks, I appreciate the help. :)

I have a supplemental question, if you don't mind...

This spreadsheet is going to be used by a lot of people who don't really understand what they're doing... Is there any way I can protect Column E from them deleting the formula and is there any way I can protect the LookupTable sheet from being edited?

Thanks again, y'all.

Upvote 0
sure you can do that:

-select all the cells on the sheet (press CTRL+A a few times until all the cells are highlighted
-right click on any cell and select "Format Cells" from the popup menu (make sure all the cells are highlighted)
- on the new window go to "Protection" tab and UNCHECK "locked" - this will unlock all the cells
- now select the cells you want to protect and repeat the steps above but this time CHECK "locked" - this way only desired cells will be locked
- on the menu bar select Tools -> Protection -> Protect Sheet
- press OK on the new popup window and if you want you can type a password there as well but you dont have to

if you want to remove the protection you can go to menu bar again and select Tools -> Protection -> Unprotect Sheet...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
81jamesacct

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back