Automatically add new week ending to drop down list as past week ends

Office Version
  1. 2016
Platform
  1. Windows
I'm creating an activity tracker to use with coaching and consulting clients, and have built a dashboard that offers a look at current and past performance based on a drop down list with week ending dates. I would like to set the drop down list up so that it automatically adds a new week ending as a new week begins in an attempt to keep the drop down list manageable. I'm assuming I will need to use a reference to today's date, and VBA in some way to make this work, if it's possible. Any guidance or input is greatly appreciated.

Adam

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

You can do it without any VBA. Create a new sheet. Put your first date in A1, put the A2 formula in, and drag down as far as you want. Then go to the Name Manager on the Formulas tab, and enter the Name formula below. Then go to your drop-down cell and use the Name as your formula. Make sure to use the bottom cell in your created range in the Name formula.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A11A2=A1+7
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
Week_ending_dates=Sheet11!$A$1:INDEX(Sheet11!$A:$A,MATCH(TODAY(),Sheet11!$A$1:$A$50))A2
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C1List=Week_ending_dates

Upvote 0
Solution
Welcome to the MrExcel forum!

You can do it without any VBA. Create a new sheet. Put your first date in A1, put the A2 formula in, and drag down as far as you want. Then go to the Name Manager on the Formulas tab, and enter the Name formula below. Then go to your drop-down cell and use the Name as your formula. Make sure to use the bottom cell in your created range in the Name formula.

Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
A2:A11A2=A1+7
Named Ranges
NameRefers ToCells
Week_ending_dates=Sheet11!$A$1:INDEX(Sheet11!$A:$A,MATCH(TODAY(),Sheet11!$A$1:$A$50))A2
Cells with Data Validation
CellAllowCriteria
C1List=Week_ending_dates
Hi Eric,

Thanks for your input, but I'm also looking for the ability to select a past week ending date from the drop down to view a past week's performance. Do you know a way to accomplish that?

Adam

Upvote 0
That's what my suggestion does. It will create a drop-down list starting with the date in A1, and ending with the most recent week ending date.

Upvote 0
Hi Eric,

Thanks, I was not referencing my list correctly, but figured that out. Now it works. I can include the current week ending by adding 7 to the TODAY formula, correct? It seems to be working.

Thanks so much for your help.

Adam

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back