Automatically calculate working hours! PLEASE HELP!!

bennett493

Hi,

We have had a new and quite frankly stupid system put in at work which logs clock in times for my team however the format it gives me is in a decimal of a day for example. I clocked in at 08:00 and clocked out at 16:00 and the number of hours it showed for me working that day is 0.3. Now I understand that this is a 3rd of a day however it starts getting a bit more of a headache to work out when you clock out with more or less than 8 hours. is there any way I can input the decimal number and it automatically work out the number of hours and minutes worked in a day I am sure I haver seen this happen before in a previous job but I cant remember the formula for it. any help would be greatly appreciated. I am using office 365

cheers

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
That does sound rather stupid to me too.
8 hrs is indeed 1/3 of a day but 1/3 is 0.33333 not 0.3
Are you sure it's 0.3 and not something like 0.33333 cos if it's 0.3 it's gonna put the calculation out when converting back to hours and minutes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you reformat the number as a time it will give you the hours/minutes. An example custom format would be:

Code:
h:mm
Hope this helps,

Chris.

Upvote 0
yes sorry I rounded down the hours. I have tried the formatting option and that works for one day which is great thank you however. at the end of the week it adds all of it up. so for my hours I have 1.472916667 when i try just formatting the option it gives me 11 hours 21 mins which is incorrect.

Upvote 0
35 hours approximately, I can work it out by simply adding it up day by day once I have formatted to time to get the total however it would be better if I can just pit the decimal in and it work out automatically the total.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back