Automatically Change String Value of a Cell Based on the String Value of Another Cell

nryan

Board Regular
Hi Forum,

I've had a tough time searching for a solution with Google. I don't quite know how else to phrase it.

I have an Excel workbook where users input data. In two of the columns, D and E, users select from in-cell dropdowns (data validation). Each column has three selections to choose from. When "Dual" is selected in column D, the selection for column E should always be "n/a". The problem is users have consistently been selecting "Vertical" in column E. There are thousands of rows of data and many of them have this mistake.

Since "Dual" and "n/a" always go together I want to make it so that when "Dual" is selected in column D, "n/a" is automatically put into column E. Here's what I have so far:

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)

Dim ItemSelection As Range
Dim AngleOrVert As Range

Set ItemSelection = Intersect(Range("D2:D100000"), Target)
Set AngleOrVert = Intersect(Range("E2:E100000"), Target)

If ItemSelection Is "Dual" Then
    AngleOrVert.Value = "n/a"
End If

End Sub

This gets me a Type mismatch error. I'd like to get this to work and if anyone knows how to do this with conditional formatting or data validation rather than a macro I'm fine with that. If you know how I can change all the wrong entries that are already in the worksheet without going through it line by line that would be nice too.

Thanks for your time.
-Nick

Excel Facts

Format cells as time
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+2 to format cells as time. (Shift 2 is the @ sign).
You are close.

Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
Dim ItemSelection As Range
Dim AngleOrVert As Range

Set ItemSelection = Intersect(Range("D2:D100000"), Target)
If Target = "Dual" Then
    Cells(Target.Row, 5).Value = "n/a"
End If

End Sub

See if this works.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the response man. That got rid of the error, but nothing happens when "Dual" is selected in column D. Column E stays blank. I tried eliminating the data validation for column E to see if that was getting in that way, but still nothing. Should the variable "AngleOrVert" be put somewhere? In you code it's just there, dimensioned as a range, but it's not being used.

Upvote 0
Ok. This is my sheet setup:

Excel 2010
DEIJKL
1Dualn/aDualn/a
2Dualn/aSingle1
3Dualn/a
Sheet1

There are dropdowns in D and E and the lists for the dropdowns are in K and L. For this, the code works. I select "Dual" and E autofills with "n/a". So I am not sure what is happening. The AngleOrVert line can be deleted.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back