Automatically Refresh Table Sorting

urbanj

Hi All,

I have a master spreadsheet, "District Summary" that has data from multiple schools. I have a column that has an A, B, C, etc. based on which school it is. I then broke it out into individual worksheets for each school. I did this by referencing the master sheet, then sorting based on the letter in the "School" column; so on the School A worksheet, I just sort the school column by only checking "A". My issue is that if I add another line item for School A in my master sheet, I have to go back to School A's worksheet, and resort to get the new line item to show up. Is there a way to get it to refresh and automatically show new line items as soon as they're entered in the referenced master sheet. Preferably, without macros since this will eventually be used as a template for the entire company to use for different school districts, and people will therefore being doing "save as" and will most likely change the format back to .xlsx.
Thanks!

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
When you say "I just sort the school column by only checking "A".", do you mean you are using the filter options and selecting "A" from there? I don't think you can do this without code, but would be really interested if someone did know how.

An alternative could be to use pivot tables. They can refresh with the click of the "Refresh All" button under the data tab. The only issue is, I don't know what you are using the individual worksheets for. If it is just to list the data just for school A and B etc, then you put everything under row labels and under pivot table options, display tab, select "Classic Pivot Table Layout". You would then need to remove the sub-totals for every table that is created. The only drawback to this is that you will have columns at the end of the table (where the table expects to be counting or summing) that are blank and can't be deleted.

It depends on how much the look of the report matters versus ease of processing. Not a solution to your ask, but a possible alternative.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Torchwood72

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back