Automatically show addin in Ribbons Tab

mariag

Hi guys. Is there a way with automatically showing an .xlam file that you have created in the ribbon without going through the Options>Addins>Browse?

A previous addin I have used automatically shows itself once I open it from the desktop, in the ribbon without going through the hassle.

Thanks in advance :))

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
After the first time you browse to it, it should remain in your "checked list" of addins to open when the application is started. Does it not?

Unless you mean load it automatically even the first time (for instance, for other users...so they don't have to browse for it), then not that I know of with a normal (non-COM) add-in.

Upvote 0
I think you're out of luck.

You would have to programmatically set the macro security of the user's application, which would be defeating the purpose if that were possible. Then you would have to browse to the add-in, and checkmark it...by code...which may be doable, but a giant PITA to code.

You could create an installer program (.exe) to put the add-in where it belongs (presumably the add-ins folder), and then tell your users to go to [File]-[Options]-[Add-ins]-......Etc, you know how to get to add-ins, I'm sure. But again, a PITA.

I would probably send/give the add-in file to my users, explain to them how to place it into the proper location, and then explain to them how to make it load automatically (after they browse for it initially, of course) and call my part of the bargain finished. If they need to use it bad enough, they'll figure it out...or ask you to further explain.

All that is, of course, assuming you're sending this to other people and wanted to make it easier for them.

There's a limit to how much trouble I'm willing to put MYSELF through in order to save the End User 5 minutes of reading and following instructions.

Upvote 0
I see. I just thought there is a way for something like that to be done. Thank for the explanation :DD

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back