Automatically update or copy data from one workbook to another

Flergleburr

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I have 2 workbooks. A lot of information is the same and manually entered by the same person into both workbooks. I want the person to only enter the information into one workbook and populate the second automatically.

The only way I know how to automatically update it would mean that when shared the external person would get #REF errors or similar as they don't have access to the source data/other workbook.

These workbooks are updated multiple times a day, by multiple people. I don't want to introduce a manual step into the process (such as remembering to save the workbook with the data not the formula before sharing it).

How do I tell workbook 2 to take the information from columns A, B and D (for example), but still be accessible by the external party?

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
So a couple of questions:
Does the person updating the workbook always have the other one open at the same time?
Is there ever a time when 2 people are updating the workbook at the same time?
Is there ever a time that the second workbook is being used by someone else when someone is trying to update it?

With these answers I think I can help

Upvote 0
Does the person updating the workbook always have the other one open at the same time?
Is there ever a time when 2 people are updating the workbook at the same time?
Is there ever a time that the second workbook is being used by someone else when someone is trying to update it?

Oh you won't like these answers!
1. Sometimes
2. Yes
3. Yes

Both workbooks are on 365, so the ability for two people to have the same workbook open is used, and it's helpful to keep that ability.

Upvote 0
Ok, so a couple of more questions
What data exactly is being updated? e.g. is it a static sized table, or individual cells?
How are you with VBA?

I think I could make a function but would have to work out how you need it implemented

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back