Automation of task routing that I can not solve.

Jericho730

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JiRjueNTERUmu2ev6

JiRjueNTERUmu2ev6
I'm trying to auto populate the area in yellow in the screen shot (see link) with the tasks.

Each week a person does a task, the next week they move on to a different task. They never repeat the same task in a 4 week period. Its always a 4 week period and there is always at least 4 tasks.

The other objective would be to make the crew on each task different, so that you don't work with the same person all 4 weeks. You can work with the same person 2-3 weeks as needed but not 4. So I'm trying to keep anyone form having the exact same schedule.

Variables include the number of tasks, the number of people, and the number of people needed to do each task.

Limits and parameter range:

Always 4 weeks
People: 4 minimum, There is no maximum. The average is around 30 but I would like the excel sheet to work with over 100.
The # of people doing each task during a week can range from 1 minimum - 8 maximum. 5-6 is the sweet spot. We add tasks to accommodate the people to try and achieve 5-6 people doing each task. Each task needs a balanced number of people I cant have 8 people doing one task and 1 person alone on a task. Ideally we would have the exact same amount of people doing each task however the math doesn't always work out.

I have the excel sort of working to the point that I can get a random, balanced order for each week, but I cant figure out how to keep the task from repeating for the same person form week to week. As you can see "Name 1" repeats "Task 5" however "Name 6" has unique task week to week.

The pink column in the screen shot is just what I was using to double check the repeats, I don't need it. I input values in the red cells.

I'm currently using a non
repeating random number to assign tasks for each week based on my total task list. I just don't know how to get it to not repeat from week to week.

Thank you in advance!
AF1QipO_VhX9y53AUb9dFJQzCWS7ybIqi1bBupR6PaZvaRphHFNZ-pMtyRhQQKA8_yt14Q

Excel Facts

Return population for a City
If you have a list of cities in A2:A100, use Data, Geography. Then =A2.Population and copy down.
Another way to think about this is that I have a deck of cards to chose from.

Round 1: Fresh full deck of cards.
Person A: draws a 2 as their first card, (deck depletes by the selection)
Person B: draws a 3 as their first card (deck depletes by the selection)
Person C: draws a 2 as their first card (deck depletes by the selection)

Continues for however many people

Round 2: Fresh deck of cards but with the following stipulations on each draw
Person A: All 2’s are removed so they cant draw 2 again. Draws a 4 as their second card (deck depletes by the selection)
Person B: The 2’s are put back in, and all 3’s are removed so they cant draw 3 again. Draws a 2 as their second card (deck depletes by the selection)
Person C: The 3’s are put back in, and all 2’s are removed so they cant draw 2 again. Draws a 5 as their second card (deck depletes by the selection)

Round 3: Fresh deck of cards but with the following stipulations on each draw
Person A: All 2’s and 4’s are removed. Draws a 5 as their third card (deck depletes by the selection)
Person B: The 2’s and 4’s are put back in, and all 3’s and 2’s are removed. Draws a 4 as their third card (deck depletes by the selection)
Person C: The 3’s and 2’s are put back in, and all 2’s and 5’s are removed. Draws a 4 as their second card (deck depletes by the selection)

This could go on for whatever the parameters are in terms of rounds and card count.

So you end up with

Person A – 2,4,5
Person B – 3,2,4
Person C – 2,5,4

Now how do I automate this with adjustable parameters?

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BB_Unlv

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back