AutoUpdate of Links work on Terminal Server but not on PC

mateo

Our Lisbon, Portugal location is trying to turn off an old Terminal Server. For years they used Excel 2003 on this TS and would have many links between several excel files and would update/refresh these links without issue.

we are now moving them off of TS to PC's with Excel 2010, but now those same Excel files, with the same links, do NOT update automatically while those Excel files are open from the same server drive mapping they were on TS. (i.e. G:\ on the TS is the same mapping for G:\ on the employees PC).

When any of the Excel files are FIRST OPENED, links DO update, but they cannot 'update links' or Refresh after that. They would have to CLOSE the Excel files and open them up again, at which time they open, update links, but then do NOT automatically update or refresh again.

My IT guy over there said that in 2003 if someone changed a value in one of the linked cells in a source workbook, that values would automatically update on the target workbook.

They can also bounce back and forth between TS and PC. Opening these Excel files on the TS where links DO auto update using Excel 2003, and then open the same files on their PC's and the links do NOT autoupdate on Excel 2010.

He looked at Trust Center and is not blocking links
he tried to convert to new XLSX format
he tried many other things but to no avail..

I am going to send him a note about "update links to other workbook" under File, Options, Advanced, "update...." but have not found many other ideas that he has not already tried.

I reviewed posts that dicuss "terminal server" on this forum but didn't find anything for this particular issue.

any other suggestions are apprecited.
thanks in advance.

Excel Facts

Select a hidden cell
Somehide hide payroll data in column G? Press F5. Type G1. Enter. Look in formula bar while you arrow down through G.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back