Average from every other row

dgharp

I am an Excel "rookie" with I'm sure a very simple question. Can I use a formula to AVERAGE data (within the same column) from every 8th row (for rows 1 to 500)? Also, will this formula update when adding or deleting rows between 1 & 500?

Or should I use a macro?

Thanks in advance,
Darren :rolleyes:

It is with great hesitation that I say this but I can't get Aladins formula to work.

I have used both Gregs and Aladins formulas with the same data set and they come up with different values. Then checked it manually and Gregs appears to be giving the correct answer.

Aladins formula gives an answer of 25.63492063
Gregs gives an answer of 25.56451613

Not a big difference I know.

Also, I initially tried reducing the data set to 24 rows to make the manual average easier to count and then the results are widely different.

Aladins giving an answer of 58 to Gregs 35.66666667 and manually 35.666...is the correct answer.

Anybody else noticed this or where am I going wrong.

I'm still hesitating but here goes.. fingers on the submit

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
Greg Truby said:
OK - using the Evaluate Formula tool, I think I'm getting it -- Cell("row",range) is returning a constant that corresponds to the row for the first cell in range, not an array of rows. So we end up with an array of differences that starts our mod function counting off from the first row. In your formula, you're starting with row 1 being "zero" and row 9 being "eight"? Correct? So to use your formula to get 8, 16, 24, etc. it's:

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW(A$1:A$500)-CELL("Row",A$1:A$500)+1,8)=0,(A$1:A$500)))

Correct? ...

Almost...

If you want to average every Nth (here: N=8) starting with the first cell of the range...

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$500)-CELL("Row",$A$1)+0,8)=0,($A$1:$A$500)))

If you want to average every Nth starting from the first instance of the Nth (8th cell/value)...

=AVERAGE(IF(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$500)-CELL("Row",$A$1:$A$500)+1,8)=0,($A$1:$A$500)))

Upvote 0
Which row is your 1st row to include? The problem here, I think, is that 1 set goes 1-9-17 while another is 8-16-24 perhaps?

Upvote 0
All,

Thanks for the replys and the "playfulness". From my "simple" little test, they all seem to work for my application. I can see that I will be seeking your advise more in the future. Keep it up.

Thanks,
Darren (y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greyangel23

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back