Average including zero after paste link tranpose

pipsiphone

Dear wise excel people,

I need help with an average formula that will give an accurate answer. My issue is that I need an average of what has been entered rather than for the entire selection. I have paste link transposed the data as it needs to run on Excel 2003 which can only hold 30 items in the Average(number1, number 2 ... etc) and I need 52. My problem occurs when the data is paste linked all blank cells appear as a Zero therefore increasing the count of the average and providing a wrong answer.

Eg when (1, 2, 0, 3) Average = 1.5 is entered the formula works out (1, 2, 0, 3, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, etc) Average = 0.12 because it divides by 52 instead of 4.
As you can see I can’t ignore zeros as they are a possible input. What would be perfect is for the paste link to paste the blank cells instead of the providing a zero then the plan =Average(B3:B55) would be fine.

If possible a formula would be the most helpful response as I don’t have a clue about macros and have previously seen some answers given with suggestions in that style.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks

(Note: the new entered data is on the same row but different columns hence the reason for the paste link transpose to get all the data in one column)

Excel Facts

Copy formula down without changing references
If you have =SUM(F2:F49) in F50; type Alt+' in F51 to copy =SUM(F2:F49) to F51, leaving the formula in edit mode. Change SUM to COUNT.
Hello pipsiphone, welcome to MrExcel

I'm not quite clear why you have to move the data, can you not average it where it is, in a single row? Which cells contain the data you want to average?

If you have more than 30 separate cells you can still average those, you can use a "union" within the AVERAGE function by enclosing some cells in brackets, those are then counted as a single reference, e.g. for 52 numbers

=AVERAGE(n1,n2,n3....n22,(n23,n24,n25.....n52))

Upvote 0
Thanks you for the kind welcome, I have by more luck than gd judgement managed to solve my problem by entering a ' into each of the cells that data will be entered into in the future. Thank you again!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jocksteriom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back