7. 2010
  8. 2007
  9. 2003 or older
Platform
  1. Windows
  2. MacOS
  3. Mobile
  4. Web
I need to find the correct syntax for a Power Query formula that will calculate average weekly usage in my newly inserted custom column. Here's what I have in Excel:

September 2021

October 2021
November 2021Average Weekly Usage
19833280=(SUM(A2:C2)/(DAY(EOMONTH(A2,0))+DAY(EOMONTH(B2,0))+DAY(EOMONTH(C2,0))))*7

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
Power Query:
let
    Source = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="Table2"]}[Content],
    tcn = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    weeks = List.Sum(List.Transform(tcn, each Date.DaysInMonth(Date.FromText(_))))/7,
    Result = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Average Weekly Usage", each List.Sum(Record.ToList(_))/weeks)
in
    Result

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1September 2021October 2021November 2021September 2021October 2021November 2021Average Weekly Usage
Sheet3

Upvote 0
Power Query:
let
    tcn = Table.ColumnNames(Source),
    weeks = List.Sum(List.Transform(tcn, each Date.DaysInMonth(Date.FromText(_))))/7,
    Result = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Average Weekly Usage", each List.Sum(Record.ToList(_))/weeks)
in
    Result

Book1
ABCDEFGHI
1September 2021October 2021November 2021September 2021October 2021November 2021Average Weekly Usage
Sheet3
I'm getting an error. I believe this error due to the fact that your solution assumed I only had four columns in my table. Unfortunately, this is not the case. In an attempt to simplify things for the sake of this post, I left out the left most columns in my example above. (Guess I over simplified to my detriment.) I need the query to only use the last three columns of my spreadsheet. I'm also not sure if it makes a difference or not that the table with this source data in it was produced using Power Query.

Upvote 0
If the table is in an excel workbook then change "Table2" below to your table name and try:

Power Query:
let
    tcn = List.LastN(Table.ColumnNames(Source),3),
in
    Result

If the table only exists in PQ then the first step simplifies to Source = your PQ table name

Upvote 0
If the table is in an excel workbook then change "Table2" below to your table name and try:

Power Query:
let
in
    Result

If the table only exists in PQ then the first step simplifies to Source = your PQ table name

Upvote 0

Power Query:
let
in
    Result

I'm still getting an error down the column.

Upvote 0
If you post a representative sample of your source table, I'll try to debug.

Upvote 0
Ideally, I'd like a weekly average calculated in column F based on the number of weeks that are represented in the three month columns. Since the last month is not always a full month, the system would have to calculate how many weeks are between the first of the month in column E and the current date. As of the time that I am composing this message, the date is 12/7 so this calculation would have to know that only one full week has passed in December. This means that the column would calculate: ((198+332+80)/(31,30,7))*7 = 62.79 units per week on average.

WeeklyAverage.JPG

Upvote 0
Problem was I thought your column headers were the month names. Looks like your Column headers are Column1, Column2 ... Column21 and the month names are in the first row of the table. Is that the way you have it set up?

Upvote 0
Problem was I thought your column headers were the month names. Looks like your Column headers are Column1, Column2 ... Column21 and the month names are in the first row of the table. Is that the way you have it set up?
In the Source data, the column headers ARE the month names. Is there a way to convert the column headers to match the source data as they will change depending on the date in which the report is pulled?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RExcelSearch

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back