Averageif help

Bedford

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. MacOS
Very much an excel novice, using mac version 2011, am attempting to gather average percentage in range AL4:AL709 based on criteria "CAD" in range T4:T709. There are other criteria in the range T4:T709, but I'm hoping to extract only the sum of average percentages from the AL column as they relate to "CAD" in the T column.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Doug.

Thanks for weighing in "seekerarcane". I think having a closer look at the formula I posted earlier, =IFERROR(($Z4-$AJ4)/$Z4,""), and the formula quoted by AhoyNC, =IFERROR((D1-E1)/F1,""), there is a slight difference. I'm trying to calculate the percentage of "Gross Margin", which is =((selling price-cost of goods)/selling price). To have the formula by AhoyNC mimic the formula for "Gross Margin" it would look more like; =IFERROR((D1-E1)/D1,""). The formula I've been using =IFERROR(($Z4-$AJ4)/$Z4,"") works perfectly fine, however the AVERAGEIF formula is only showing an error when I have no entries, once I begin entering data and the column with the IFERROR formula has at least one entry then the AVERAGEIF returns a result void of error.
So, safe to say the worksheet will have entries, it just through me off when I first started building it and saw the error generated by AVERAGEIF when there were no entries.

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Either of the following work, when there is sufficient data;
=AVERAGEIF(T4:T709,"USD",AL4:AL709)
{=AVERAGE(IF(T4:T709="USD",AL4:AL709*1))}

Upvote 0
Either of the following work, when there is sufficient data;
=AVERAGEIF(T4:T709,"USD",AL4:AL709)
{=AVERAGE(IF(T4:T709="USD",AL4:AL709*1))}

Whichever suits your needs...

1. just enter:

=SUMIF(T4:T709,"USD",AL4:AL709)/MAX(1,COUNTIF(T4:T709,"USD"))

2. control+shift+enter, not just enter:

=IF(ISNUMBER(1/IF(T4:T709="usd",AL4:AL709)),AVERAGE(IF(T4:T709="usd",AL4:AL709)),"")

Upvote 0
EUREKA! The #1 formula works, I've not tried the second, but, brilliant, thank you very, very much...
Doug.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back