AVERAGEIF Question

dzilla

Hi all,

I am sure this is pretty basic for most of you, but I am truly a novice in Excel formulas so here goes. I would like to display the results of the average of 2 different cells but only if the average of the two cells is less than a specified amount. The problem I am having is that if the average of the 2 cells is greater than the specified amount, the formula cell automatically displays the value of cell #1, when I wish it would display 0 (zero). So for example:

=AVERAGEIF(B9:D9,"<20")

Is there an additional argument that I can add to have the formula display a zero in the event that the average of B9 and D9 is greater than 20?

Thank you all!

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
=IFERROR(AVERAGEIF(B9:D9,"<20"),0)

yields 10. If we delete the contents of B9 for example, we would get 0 as it should.

Ok, so I suppose my real question is this: Is there any logic or arguments to add to that formula which can tell if the amount entered into D9 is greater than C9, and then force a value of 0 into E9 (the formula cell)?

Upvote 0
I would like to display the results of the average of 2 different cells but only if the average of the two cells is less than a specified amount.......the average of B9 and D9........

From your original description it seems to me that you want just the average of B9 and D9.....unless that's >= 20 (which is defined in C9) in which case show zero. In which case try

=IF((B9+D9)/2 >= C9,0,(B9+D9)/2)<c9,(b9+d9) 2,0)<="" html=""></c9,(b9+d9)>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Ok, so I suppose my real question is this: Is there any logic or arguments to add to that formula which can tell if the amount entered into D9 is greater than C9, and then force a value of 0 into E9 (the formula cell)?

Not sure what you are after. Entertaining a guess...

=IF(D9>C9,0,AVERAGEIF(B9:D9,"<20"))

Is this in the ballpark?

Upvote 0
I can confirm that both Barry's and Aladin's formulas work and indeed display 0 in the formula cell of E9 . I couldn't get magicmark's to work...

Thank you all very much - you guys are genius with these formulas!

Upvote 0
The result will be 10, 10 is the only number smaller than 20, so the average will be 10 and not 0

Upvote 0
If you are testing to see if any of the values are >20, and then waht to return 0 if any are, then try this...
=IF(MAX(B10:D10)>20,0,AVERAGEIF(B9:D9,"<20"))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back