AVERAGEIFS Formula help

hblbs

Board Regular
Hello all, hope you can help.

I am having difficulty with a AVERAGEIFS formula I am currently using.

When I use filters and highlight the range that applies, excel provides to correct average calculation in the bottom RHS of the window.

However when I use the formula below it returns a completely different value that I know is wrong and am unable to work what is being included. I have used trim/clean functions and moved the sheet to a CSV file and re-import just to see if there is any hidden characters throwing it off.

Code:
=(AVERAGEIFS(Sheet3!E2:E237,Sheet3!E2:E237,"<>",Sheet3!H2:H237,{"A","B","C"}))

As Im referencing from another sheet I also use the following with the same result.

Code:
=(AVERAGEIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),"<>",INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$19),{"A","B","C"}))

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
AVERAGEIFS really doesn't work well with arrays. What happens is you get 3 averages, 1 for A, B, and C. Then if you have AVERAGEIFS in a single cell, you only see the first average. In order to get this to work, you need to calculate the numerator (SUM) and denominator (COUNT) separately, like this:

=SUM(SUMIFS(Sheet3!E2:E237,Sheet3!E2:E237,"<>",Sheet3!H2:H237,{"A","B","C"}))/SUM(COUNTIFS(Sheet3!E2:E237,"<>",Sheet3!H2:H237,{"A","B","C"}))

The SUMIFS with the array creates 3 totals, and the SUM adds them together. Same idea with the SUM(COUNTIFS(.

Hope this clears things up some.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your response and guidance on this, it does appear to be working.

Could I also query a similar difficulty using the formula you've provided? It seems this works when Criteria 2 is exactly the value, but when I try to use this for any values that does not equal value the average seems to be off.

The following works

Code:
=SUM(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),"<>",INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$16),"ABA"))/SUM(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),"<>",INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$16),"ABA"))

But this does not seem to produce the correct result.

Code:
=SUM(SUMIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),"<>",INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$16),"<>ABA"))/SUM(COUNTIFS(INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$21),"<>",INDIRECT("'"&$AH$1&"'!"&$AK$16),"<>ABA"))

Any help is appreciated, thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
I tried both your formulas, and I get the results I'd expect. Could you show a sample of data that doesn't return your expected result, and explain what you think it should be?

Also, as an FYI, you don't need the SUM around the SUMIFS and COUNTIFS unless you're using an array to specify multiple values. It doesn't hurt either though, so you could leave it to make it easier to modify later. But without an array, you could also just use an AVERAGEIFS.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back