AVERAGEIFS not calculating correctly

Maxwelljohn

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi,
I’m really struggling with my AVERAGEIFS formula, as it’s not calculating correctly and not sure where I’m going wrong.

I have a table of data with week numbers above in the row above. I was trying to use a drop down criteria to average set weeks. My data goes from wk 40 20 - wk 33 21, I was trying to use the drop downs to select the average based on the average wks I require. i.e Wk 21 21 - Wk 33 21.

My formula was
=AVERAGEIFS(F13:BI13,F12:BI12,”>=“&A4,F12:BI12,”<=“&B4)

A4 Is from week (drop down)
B4 is to week (drop down)

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
Is a Wk 21 21 a formatted date or is it text? It needs to be a proper date if used like that.

Upvote 0
Is a Wk 21 21 a formatted date or is it text? It needs to be a proper date if used like that.
Hi,
These are the wk numbers we use at work, so it comes out in that format when down loaded from the server. My drop downs are in the exact same format.

Not sure if that helps answer your question.

Upvote 0
You just cant do it like that. For example excel sees Wk 52 20 as greater than Wk 01 21. Thats just the way alphanumerics work. You need to transform them into numbers (true dates are numbers by the way).

Upvote 0
Only other thing i can think you can do is to use a spare row to index your Wk numbers (1,2,3,4,5 etc) then use a lookup and test that for greater then or less than.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back