Averaging letter grades that convert to numbers for a point total

mpmachala

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
I finally figured out how to get a letter grade to equal a point value and average. However I can't figure out the formula to do the same thing, but with data from other columns for a "final grade" as a numerical value.

Example, I need C4:F4, J4:M4, and Q4:T4 (some times there won't be a grade in the cell) all to average in column X, but with a numeric value instead.

Letter Grade values:
"E"=4
"V"=3.5
"G"=3
"M"=2
"U"=1

For the life of me, I can't figure out why I can't average across disconnected columns?
Thanks,
Mike

Attachments

• Letter Grade.png
    Letter Grade.png
    27.7 KB · Views: 21

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Look like you have grades for each trimester already. Why don't you just do the average of the trimester grades?
In Z4:
Excel Formula:
=AVERAGE(H4,O4,V4)
Autofill down

Upvote 0
Look like you have grades for each trimester already. Why don't you just do the average of the trimester grades?
In Z4:
Excel Formula:
=AVERAGE(H4,O4,V4)
Autofill down
Yeah, my brain was so fried from figuring out the rest, I didn't think of making it that simple. Oops!

Upvote 0
...or you could use the headings

Mpmachala.xlsx
CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWX
3DateDateDateDate1st TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate2nd TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate3rd TrimesterTrimester ScoreYear Avg. Points
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
X4:X7X4=AVERAGEIFS($H4:$V4,$H$3:$V$3,"Trimester Score")

Upvote 0
Yeah, my brain was so fried from figuring out the rest, I didn't think of making it that simple. Oops!
Although, I just realized by doing this formula, it doesn't compute the current year score in "Z" column since its averaging 3 numbers, but they aren't there all year as we build across the sheet. Suggestions for this workaround?

Upvote 0
Although, I just realized by doing this formula, it doesn't compute the current year score in "Z" column since its averaging 3 numbers, but they aren't there all year as we build across the sheet. Suggestions for this workaround?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I understand. You can use IFERROR to trap when no values exist, otherwise it should calculate OK with 1, 2 or 3 values.

Mpmachala.xlsx
CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
3DateDateDateDate1st TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate2nd TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate3rd TrimesterTrimester ScoreYear Avg. PointsCurrent Year Scote
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
X4:X8X4=IFERROR(AVERAGEIFS($H4:$V4,$H$3:$V$3,"Trimester Score"),0)
Z4:Z8Z4=SUMIFS($H4:$V4,$H$3:$V$3,"Trimester Score")

Upvote 0
What I am trying to say in a convoluted way, is that if you look at row 5, the value in X5 should be 3.75 (7.5/2=3.75), not 2.5. It seems to be averaging in a zero value in the 3rd Trimester Score, but there isn't a grade yet. (7.5/3=2.5)

I used your formula in X4 and it returned a "0".

Letter Grade (2).png

Upvote 0
It calculated OK for me but I'm not sure I'm following. Where does the 8 come from in H5?

Is this closer?

Mpmachala.xlsx
CDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ
3DateDateDateDate1st TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate2nd TrimesterTrimester ScoreDateDateDateDate3rd TrimesterTrimester ScoreYear Avg. PointsCurrent Year Score
4E40004000G3000300035007000
5E40008000V3500700037507500
Sheet1
Cell Formulas
RangeFormula
X4:X6X4=IFERROR(Z4/COUNTIFS($C$3:$V$3,"Date",$C$5:$V$5,"<>"),0)
Z4:Z6Z4=SUMIFS($C4:$V4,$C$3:$V$3,"*Trimester")

Upvote 0
Letter Grade Values * Weighted Value in column Y:
"E"=4
"V"=3.5
"G"=3
"M"=2
"U"=1
Basically, Year Average Points(Xcolumn)*Value(Ycolumn)=Yearly Score(Zcolumn)

With the formula you just gave, the X column is now averaging across. However, I need to have the value in column Z = column X * column Y. This way is gives me the current yearly score every time a new grade is entered.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DET4492

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back