Averaging sum of Cells with Letters

Greenland

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can solve this very complicated problem I'm having with an Excel Sheet.
I have a table that is occupied by cells that represent 3 colors combined with letters. In other words...I created dropdown lists for every cell that offers just 3 options. (R Y and G)
I created colors to fill the cells based on the letter they choose. R=Red. Y=Yellow and G=Green. All good there. People love just using dropdowns to fill the cells.

I have a row at the bottom that is supposed to figure out averages from the individual columns above.

Obviously its not logical to write a formula that knows how to average colors or letters so I associated number values to each letter. R=1, Y=2 and G=3. I have 3 separate formulas for each of those associations.
I think I created them correctly.

Now I'm stumped! How do I tell the bottom cell in column G to average the total values of all of the above cells in that same column based on my formulas?

In this example...I would need cell G18 to be able to add, then average the total of G4 thru G17 and use my 3 formulas that explain the numerical values of each letter in those cells. I will then need each bottom cell to do the same for their respective columns as well once I can figure out what to enter in the cell.

Thanks so much to anyone that may be able to walk me through this.

snapshot.png

Excel Facts

Add Bullets to Range
Select range. Press Ctrl+1. On Number tab, choose Custom. Type Alt+7 then space then @ sign (using 7 on numeric keypad)
Just did. it WORKS!!!!!! THANKS TO YOU AND ALADIN!!! You two are both geniuses!!!

No idea how you figured through my confusing requests but you did!
Now I just have to add a Conditional that knows how to change that average to a color based on the thresholds, right? I think.

Upvote 0
Just did. it WORKS!!!!!! THANKS TO YOU AND ALADIN!!! You two are both geniuses!!!

No idea how you figured through my confusing requests but you did!
Now I just have to add a Conditional that knows how to change that average to a color based on the thresholds, right? I think.

I obviously read your partly covered up X as V from the picture you posted... The glasses didn't help.:)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back