Avoid the #REF error when copying and deleting rows

Phily50

Office Version
  1. 365
Platform
  1. Windows
So having had one question answered, I now run into another problem. I have this code-

VBA Code:
Private Sub CCOk_Click()

Dim Answer As Integer
Dim NewSht As Worksheet
Dim NewRow As Long
Dim ThisRow As Long

Answer = MsgBox("You have selected to cancel " & UCase(ActiveCell.Value) & vbNewLine & vbNewLine & "This will move the CHIS to Cancelled and remove ALL data from this page", vbExclamation + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton2, "Are you sure?")

If Answer = vbYes Then
        Set NewSht = Sheets("Cancelled")

Application.EnableEvents = False
            Application.Calculation = xlCalculationManual
            ThisRow = ActiveCell.Row

NewRow = NewSht.Cells(Rows.Count, 1).End(xlUp).Offset(1, 0).Row

NewSht.Cells(NewRow, "A").Value = Cells(ThisRow, "A").Value
                NewSht.Cells(NewRow, "B").Value = Cells(ThisRow, "B").Value
                NewSht.Cells(NewRow, "C").Value = Cells(ThisRow, "C").Value
                NewSht.Cells(NewRow, "D").Value = Cells(ThisRow, "D").Value
                NewSht.Cells(NewRow, "E").Value = Cells(ThisRow, "E").Value

ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete

Application.CutCopyMode = False
                    Application.EnableEvents = True
                    Application.Calculation = xlCalculationAutomatic
        Else
        'do nothing
    End If

frmCancelCHIS.Hide
End Sub

...that thanks to GWteB now works perfectly.

However, I have since run into another problem that I'm sure is very easy to solve for a non dunce like me.

That bit of code deletes the row that the data was in. In another sheet I have the following formulas:

Excel Formula:
=IF(SHEET2!A4="","",(INDEX(SHEET2!A4:J4,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX((SHEET2!A4:J4<>0),0),0))))

Excel Formula:
=IF(SHEET2!A4="","",(LOOKUP(2,1/(SHEET2!A4:I4<>""),SHEET2!A4:I4)))

Excel Formula:
=IF(SHEET2!A4="","",(LOOKUP(2,1/(SHEET2!A4:J4<>""),SHEET2!A4:J4)))

Which basically looks up the 1st and last empty cells in the specified ranges and pulls it into a list for use elsewhere. When I delete the row using that function above, I encounter the #REF error because the row no longer exists- I would have thought if I was deleting Row 5 for instance, that row 6 becomes row 5, 7 becomes 6 and so on, and therefore the code would still function properly. Is there a way to resolve this by changing the formula?

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
You should be able to replace the formulas after deleting the ranges.
For example:
VBA Code:
Range("A1") = "=IF(Sheet2!A4="""","""",(INDEX(Sheet2!A4:J4,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX((Sheet2!A4:J4<>0),0),0))))"
Range("B2") = "=IF(Sheet2!A4="""","""",(LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet2!A4:I4<>""""),Sheet2!A4:I4)))"
Range("C3") = "=IF(Sheet2!A4="""","""",(LOOKUP(2,1/(Sheet2!A4:J4<>""""),Sheet2!A4:J4)))"

Upvote 0
Sorry the formula is in another sheet, not in the one that is being deleted. They just reference the range where the rows are being deleted and when the rows are deleted they throw up the ref error as one of the rows no longer exists.

Upvote 0
You are deleting ranges that a formula references, use my example and place the formula in the correct sheet and range after deleting the referenced range.

VBA Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").range("A1")=your formula

Upvote 0
You are deleting ranges that a formula references, use my example and place the formula in the correct sheet and range after deleting the referenced range.

VBA Code:
Sheets("Sheet1").range("A1")=your formula
Thanks again for your response. So where would I put that within the VBA code? Presumably after the delete command? And just so I understand what you mean, the "Sheet1" is the worksheet where the formula is located and the range is the column that the formula is?

Upvote 0
So I've been trying to do this for a couple days on and off but still for the life of me cannot get it to work. I pasted this:

VBA Code:
Sheets("LookupLists").Range("F2") = "=IF(CHIS!A4="""","""",(INDEX(CHIS!A4:J4,MATCH(TRUE,INDEX((CHIS!A4:J4<>0),0),0))))"
Sheets("LookupLists").Range("G2") = "=IF(CHIS!A4="""","""",(LOOKUP(2,1/(CHIS!A4:I4<>""""),CHIS!A4:I4)))"
Sheets("LookupLists").Range("H2") = "=IF(CHIS!A4="""","""",(LOOKUP(2,1/(CHIS!A4:J4<>""""),CHIS!A4:J4)))"

after the

VBA Code:
ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete

command within the code, and it doesn't work. It doesn't throw up any debug errors (not that I would know what they were anyway :D ), but the formulas within the sheet "LookupLists" in columns F, G and H still return the #REF error once the cell in "CHIS" is deleted. which throws other cells out within the workbook that rely on these being right. Is there an easy fix or should i confine my PC to the bin :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JAMES KECULAH

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back