Axes problem on Stacked bar graph with 2 axes

RealTired

I created a stacked bar with 2 axes. Left hand side axes is to represent the $ amount of the stacked bar from various data series (loans category with total balances) and the other axes (represented by a line in the graph) shows the average rate of the total Loans (in %). My problem is my left hand side axes is not showing the range of my total loan balances (ranges from $800 million to $0). I tried changing the scale in format axis, but it keeps on going back to the default. How can I fix this problem?
Thank you in advance!

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
RT - how are you changing the scale ? Is it possible that you are still putting a tick under AUTO next to MAXIMUM ? If so, remember to untick that box, if you are manually setting the scale.

Upvote 0
I've just figure that out! Didn't realize I've been clicking on the auto tick.
However, i also find out that my problem is not the scale range! After I managed to set the scale to the higher max #, my stacked bars shrunk! Anybody knows if maybe I can't combine a stacked bar graph with 2 axes?
I have 3 data series with values from $0 to $800 (in millions) which is suppose to be represented by the left hand axes. The only data ties in in to the right hand axes are interest rates in percentage (values less than 1.00). Thanks!

Upvote 0
Have you told Excel which data series need to be tied to each axis ?

Format Data Series, Axis, and choose the Primary axis for the left, or Secondary axis for the right. You will need to do this for each series.

Upvote 0
Yes, I did. When I check on Format Data Series, the Axis tab, I can see that all the stacked bar's data series are plotted to Primary Axis.

Upvote 0
Are you setting the max scale using a different unit of measurement from your data ?

For example, if your data is 800, but you're setting the scale max to 8,000,000 that COULD cause your problem.

Upvote 0
No. My values are showing a range from 0 to 800. I set the scale to: max 1200, min 0 Major unit 200 & minor unit 40. Thank you for being patient & continue looking at this. I'm going to try removing the secondary axes to see what it's do to the primary axes. Maybe that will clue me in to something. I'll let you know!

Upvote 0
Got it, but I don't know exactly how!
I played around with different chart types. Found out that the one I used was a stacked bar with percentage rather than values (Doh!). However, I could not find stacked bar with 2 axes. I played around with different chart types, changing different format settings and out of a sudden I got what I want. Unfortunately, I could not remember which chart type I chose for this graph that's working perfectly for me.
Mr Edinburgh, thank you for your help!!!

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back