back office 2000 / office xp

dantb

Hi all. I have been trying to figure out a problem between our server and the workstations. The workstations which have windows 98 & Microsoft office 2000, work fine. But, the workstations that have Windows XP Pro (sys)& Office XP (software)are having problems accesing Microsoft files on the server,(Only Microsoft). What happens is if I open Excel and go to File open, and open a file off of the server, it works fine. But If I use windows explorer and browse to one of the drives on the server and pick a excel file, the workstation locks up,(only Microsoft programs). Even right clicking on the file will lock the pc up. Then after using ctrl/alt/del, to end the task, I loose all of my icons on the workstation. Im not sure if this is a server problem or a workstation problem. If anyone can shed some light on this subject or know a good teck site for such a problem,I sure would appreciate it. Thanks Dan

Excel Facts

What does custom number format of ;;; mean?
Three semi-colons will hide the value in the cell. Although most people use white font instead.
Well, I don't know what for sure it's doing, but on our laptop/computers at home (all running both Windows and Office XP), if we end task on something and lose all of the icons, we can just press ctrl+alt+delete to bring up the task manager again, then select "New task."

Once that box comes up, just type explorer.exe and all of your icons should show up again.

Hope it helps or at least sheds some light on the situation at hand :)

Upvote 0
Thanks Von that will save me from just hitting the off button. Still searching on the other problem, but nice to have the icons back. Thanks again Dan

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back