Background Query Refresh in Hidden Tab

rrdavis07

I've created a spreadsheet in Excel 2016 that has an Excel Query to a SQL database configured on a hidden sheet. The query to set to refresh when the file is open (using the External Data Properties, not VBA). While the file is being opened, Excel "selects" the query result cells on the hidden sheet during the refresh. The sheet remains hidden (not visible and no tab at the bottom), but somehow has the focus. You can see this in the screenshot when the shading (the selected cells) does not correspond with the cells on the visible sheet. It is actually selecting the query table in the hidden sheet.

2016-12-19_17-24-44.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/go0xp8kj3uen7lg/2016-12-19_17-24-44.jpg?dl=0

While this supposedly "hidden" sheet has the focus it is possible to interact with it, including adding or deleting data (or the entire query!). Clicking on one of the tabs at the bottom of the screen returns the focus to that tab and the hidden sheets are no longer readily accessible.

I've tried protecting the hidden sheet, but that blocks the query from refreshing when the file is opened (unless one of the allow options allows a data refresh, but I haven't tested all of them).

This seems to be a bug. Is there a workaround, or does anyone have thoughts on how to properly protect my query from accidental deletion?

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back