Bank Account Data

ColMac

Hi,

I'm a newbie here and with Power Query. I'm trying to analyse my bank account data from CSV files downloaded each month from my bank. I've managed to get PowerQuery to work as I want it with one exception.

My Bank has a single field called description which contains data, a mix of alpha and numeric data to give the user a name/description of the transaction.

These can vary from the very simple eg

B/CARD VISA

to the more complex like

ABC BANK SAVER C , ABC BANK SAVER C , VIA MOBILE - PYMT , FP 06/06/22 10 , 12312654231232R

most point of sale transactions look like this

1017 20JUL22 C , EAST RIVER INN, TAUNTON GB

Unfortunately, there is no consistency on how companies enter their names, and different branches of the same company can often use different styling for their name eg

8556 23APR22 CD , Smith&Jones Store 1234 , EDINBURGH 4 GB
and
8556 23APR22 CD , Smith and Jones Store 5678 , PARIS 7 FR

Using Power query to split columns (Many /most have a comma delimiter some with a leading space, some without) generates 7 additional columns (based on my first 1000 records - so it could be more on the full dataset). With the single item I want (ie the company name) in anything from column 1 to column 7.

I'm hoping to be able to categorise these payments using a look-up table to put them into categories, such as Food & Drink, Entertainment, Sport etc

Is this an example that it is possible to come up with a method to extract the company name or is it simply too variable? I find it hard to believe that others have not sought a similar solution in the past, so I'm hoping that someone might have an answer.

Thanks for reading this far.

Colin

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
I have managed to deal with the issue by using a number of helper conditional conditional columns eg with comma and without etc then some specific ones with regular non standard text. Finally merge all gives me what I want

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back