Bar Chart without numbers

mhagerman

I need to make a bar chart that essentially looks like this but with bars instead of X's
Book3
ABCDE
1R1R2R3R4
2aX
3bXXXX
4cXXX
5dXX
6eXXX
7fXXX
Sheet1

Excel Facts

Excel Can Read to You
Customize Quick Access Toolbar. From All Commands, add Speak Cells or Speak Cells on Enter to QAT. Select cells. Press Speak Cells.
Hi mhagerman,

If your intent is to simulate a bar chart using worksheet cells, why not just use cell color fill to simulate bars? You could (if desired) make the color fill depend on the values in the cells using Conditional Formatting to set the cell fill color, and have it also set the font color the same time so that the text in the cell does not appear.

Damon

Upvote 0
Yeah, that's a decent workaround solution and one that I'm using but I was wondering if anyone had any luck with the chart wizard using non-numeric data. If you try to make a chart, it always uses numbers in some way and that just doesn't exist in my data.

I suppose I could use numbers to get the bars I want but then I'd need to be able to re-label the x axis to represent the non-numeric data I'm trying to depict.

Upvote 0
Hi again mhagerman,

I'm not sure if this is what you were referring to in your second paragraph, but in case it isn't I'll offer it up. You could use worksheet formulas to translate the non-numeric data into numeric data in another area of the worksheet or in another worksheet, then chart the numeric data. This way, the numeric data need not even be visible.

Damon

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back