Bar Graph - Label with problem

kit99

Got a lot of bar graphs in my Excel 2013.
When making these (2-D Column), I'm right clicking over the graph, choosing Add Data Labels, and then in Format Data Series I'm chosing to display "Value" and "Outside end".

My problem is that when bar graph label is an amout with many numbers (million), the label won't display on one row. The value is splitted (some sort of line shift?), and it looks messy.
The bar itself is most often much wider than the label value, and I can't understand why the bar label is displayed like this...
I can't find anything about this in the Format Data Label menu, and I can't drag the coutline of the Label value any wider.

So how can I force the bar label value to stay on only one line?

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
What number format do you have applied to the data labels?

Upvote 0
What number format do you have applied to the data labels?

Have tried 1) Bar default, 2) General, 3) Number.
On number I've set decimals to 0 and tried "thousands separator" both on and off.
Format code is then: "# ##0"
Result is the same on all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Do you only have the values showing, or also the series and/or category name too? Also, which version of Office are you using?

Upvote 0
Do you only have the values showing, or also the series and/or category name too? Also, which version of Office are you using?

I've only chosen "Values" and "Outside end".
And I've made a mistake at the top of this thread: My Excel is 2010 (and not 2013)....

Upvote 0
Where do the line breaks occur - at the thousands separators, or in between digits?

Upvote 0
Where do the line breaks occur - at the thousands separators, or in between digits?

If value is 232560,-: It's 232br560 (thousands separator on) and 2325br60 (thousands separator off).
If value is 1138307,-: It's 1br138br307 (thousands separator on) and 113br830br7 (thousands separator off).
In both cases the graph itself is wider than the label values, also so if the values had been written out without any line breaks...

Upvote 0
I can't replicate that at all in 2010. The only way I can get any wrapping at all is to make the chart really narrow.

Can you put a sample workbook somewhere (e.g. OneDrive) so that I can see if I see the same thing?

Upvote 0
I can't replicate that at all in 2010. The only way I can get any wrapping at all is to make the chart really narrow.
Can you put a sample workbook somewhere (e.g. OneDrive) so that I can see if I see the same thing?

Seems this was a bit more tricky than I thought... :)
I know my company is going to upgrade to Office 365 within the next month, so I guess it's easier to just wait and se if upgrading makes this look better.
Thanks a lot for responding to my thread! :)

Upvote 0
No problem. I'd still be interested to see the problem if you can post a workbook, as it sounds like a bug and may be worth reporting.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mariah3

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back